Solo coastal destination in Turkey or Greece mid-September

I'll be tacking on a solo three or four night trip to a longer vacation in September and am looking for ideas about where to go to from Izmir, Turkey.

I'm thinking of flying to either a coastal area in Turkey or Greece before flying out again to head back home. I will be a solo female traveller so a place where it's easy to meet people and has some accessible nightlife will be ideal. I also enjoy hiking/cycling and culture. I like beaches but just sitting by the beach all day is not my thing. There are so many options it's a bit overwhelming, but I'd also like to avoid the most touristy/resort-like places. A bit of effort to get to the place will be OK!
posted by scribbler to Travel & Transportation around Turkey (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I would take the opportunity to fly down to Ercan, the only airport in Northern Cyprus, which is inaccessible by air other than by direct flight from Turkey, then renting a car and driving around - it's quite compact and rural, with some historic sites and a few larger towns. I'd check out Kyrenia, Famagusta and Nicosia.

It ticks all your boxes and uses the Turkish Lira so will be rather cheap these days, and it's quite annoying to reach, so may be relatively untouristed other than with other Turkish visitors. Pegasus do the route quite cheaply nonstop from Izmir, around 50 euro one way.
posted by mdonley at 7:58 AM on September 2, 2018 [1 favorite]

Lesvos and Chios are Greek islands just off the Turkish coast. Both are accessable by ferry from Izmir and would meet your requirements.
posted by ajayb at 12:21 PM on September 2, 2018

In the same situation I took a sleeper train from Izmir to Konya, and then a bus to Cappadocia. Trip was incredible. Train was inexpensive and very comfortable, Cappadocia was touristy but gorgeous. And I felt safe and comfortable as a solo female traveller.
posted by merdog at 12:29 PM on September 2, 2018

« Older Bicycling gloves with padding and SPF / Sun...   |   Chidi's style on The Good Place Newer »