Please help me help my favorite Doggo: YANMV and TINMD

I've been walking a standard poodle daily for a neighbor who has been working 12 hour shifts. Tesla the doggo has been having some weird medical symptoms we don't understand. Multiple blood tests have turned up nothing.

You are not my vet, and this is not my dog.

At the beginning of the summer, my neighbor found a tick in Tesla's fur. Had said tick removed. Took to the vet and got tested for Lyme and treated for ticks.

Since this incident, Tesla has been sprouting blood blisters. They started on the ear skin, on the underside of ears. Now he's got occasional bursting blisters on his neck, legs, head and ears.

T's owner has brought him in for multiple panels of blood work and the vet says they're at a loss.

Tesla's mood, bowels, urine and activity levels are all normal. Everything seems normal. The blisters do not seem to cause pain or discomfort. They look awful though, and we can't keep them bandaged up enough before the bandage falls off. I'm also worried about him getting a bacterial infection on our walks.

What could be causing these blisters? What should T's owner ask the vet? Should she get a second opinion at this point?
posted by Dressed to Kill to Pets & Animals (4 answers total)

Owner should take the dog to a veterinary dermatologist. There is a directory of diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Dermatology at acvd.org. At this point, if it were my dog, I'd want a specialist!
posted by Boogiechild at 8:56 AM on August 29, 2018 [3 favorites]

I would take the dog to a specialist.

Our regular vet is great for day-to-day stuff, but they were unable to diagnose my one dog's esophageal cancer, and our other dog's liver impairment. I wish I had taken both dogs to the internal medicine specialist sooner, rather than go through a bunch of stuff that didn't work with the regular vet.

Ask the regular vet for a specialist they recommend, and go.
posted by Squeak Attack at 9:59 AM on August 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

Seconding referral to a dermatologist, and also a full complete blood count (with blood smear evaluation) and coagulation profile to rule out abnormal blood clotting, plus testing for Anaplasma platys and other tick-borne diseases.
posted by SinAesthetic at 10:01 AM on August 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

Has the dog been tested for and do you live in an area with Ehrlichiosis? Google image search that term along with canine and see if that's what you might be dealing with. If so- specialist stat. Keep in mind it's a tropical/ sub tropical disease before you panic.

He may also be having a reaction to the frontline or whatever they treated him with too.
posted by fshgrl at 2:58 PM on August 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older I must lower my body temperature   |   Am I a Doormat, and How To Stop Others from... Newer »