What % am I?

In American politics, we often hear reference to the top "1%" of citizens whose total wealth is equivalent to the total wealth of the bottom 50% (not sure if this is exactly correct, but that's the idea) of citizens. I am curious to know where I stand, economically.

Is there an app or website where you can enter your gross assets, and get a calculation of what percentile you are in?

I would like to know my approximate status compared to other Americans, and to others globally.
posted by elf27 to Work & Money (8 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

US: http://graphics.wsj.com/what-percent/

World: http://www.globalrichlist.com/

The US one is for income only, not gross assets.
posted by rachaelfaith at 7:21 PM on August 21, 2018 [4 favorites]

One issue is people rank a bit differently for income compared to wealth.

Another issue is personal vs household income (or wealth).

Wikipedia has a a table based on 2014 data for household income that you can use to place your household within percentile bins, for the USA.

Spoiler: If your household ‘earns’ over $250k/yr then you are off the table, and over the 96.98 percentile. 50th percentile was $55k-59,999.
To correct for today, move the very rich richer and everyone else poorer, by 1-20%

And btw by wealth, it’s the top 1% own more than the bottom 90, in the USA
posted by SaltySalticid at 7:23 PM on August 21, 2018 [3 favorites]

Right, the actual 1% don't have "income" as much as they have "wealth"

I mean, they probably do have "income" from investments and I'm sure some of them work, but the people in the american 1% just have a ton of capital.
posted by RustyBrooks at 7:34 PM on August 21, 2018 [3 favorites]

That chart has the top 1% starting at about 300k, which yes, is a lot of money, but that is not really what a "1 percenter" is.

A 1 percenter by wealth has a net worth of 10 million plus
https://dqydj.com/who-are-the-one-percent-united-states/

If a 300k/year earner put away 150k/year and made 7%/year on his investments, it would take them 25 years to have 10 million dollars.
posted by RustyBrooks at 7:38 PM on August 21, 2018 [4 favorites]

This calculator will let you plug in your net worth and find your percentile
posted by RustyBrooks at 5:08 AM on August 22, 2018 [1 favorite]

Although it's a class/social network thing too: Paul Manafort, for example, has still been part of the 1% even through this period of negative net worth during the past decade-plus when he's been in debt to the point of mortal peril to Oleg Deripaska and who knows who else.
posted by XMLicious at 5:09 AM on August 22, 2018

This NY Times calculator is old, but an interesting analysis.
posted by oryelle at 4:39 PM on August 22, 2018

Global Rich List, the second site linked in the first comment on this thread, gives incorrect (and not even in the right ballpark) data. (I'm sorry I don't have an accurate alternative to suggest.)
posted by aws17576 at 6:51 PM on August 22, 2018

« Older Would you like to share your location?   |   I need translations of Plato's Republic in as many... Newer »