Source of quote about tourists: "They even bring their own sandwiches"

I remember reading of somebody, a resident in a traditional rural area, who on observing first visitors in the early years of tourism, reacted with dismay to the visitors' lack of engagement with the local economy. The quote was something like "They even brought their own sandwiches". I'd like to know where that quote is from?

I remembered the quote recently when discussing the problems that tourism can bring to a poor rural region, but would love to know it for sure; it offers such an enlightening perspective on rural attitudes.

It's almost certainly someone and somewhere in the UK, most likely the north of England. Beyond that, I can't pin it down.
posted by vincebowdren to Society & Culture (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Could it have been from yesterday's Blue?

There seems to be a confluence of different factors, as the wealth inequality (and possible foreign money) drives up home ownership and rent way beyond local incomes, very little community economic activity from tourists (they bring their own food to the beaches, rent from airbnb’s that don’t pay the taxes the hotels do, avoid paid parking lots by parking at the grocery shop and walking to the beach), highway expansion, and a lack of social cohesion. We call the Airbnb’s “party palaces” as they squeeze 20 plus people into a three bedroom cottage and blare music till 3am on the dock “because we are on vacation”, while the neighbour has to get up at 6am to commute into work. Meanwhile, none of the locals can go to the few public access beaches on weekends as daytrippers arrive early and sit cheek to jowl generating a huge amount of garbage they do not pay to dispose of...
posted by saucysault at 3:59 PM
posted by matrixclown at 7:17 AM on August 20, 2018 [3 favorites]

I think this is a common complaint.
"We don't necessarily want people who are coming up for a day, packing a bag with their lunch in it, and not really appreciating the mountain culture that we have."
From "Whistler mayor not keen about day trippers from Lower Mainland", CBC News.
posted by grouse at 7:22 AM on August 20, 2018 [1 favorite]

saucysault : No, this quote is much older than that. I think I read it 20 or more years ago, and it's likely to be from several decades before that.
posted by vincebowdren at 7:26 AM on August 20, 2018

I have not found it either, but I wanted to at least say that I definitely remember this too, and have a similar memory of it being about somewhere in rural England.
posted by solotoro at 8:59 AM on August 20, 2018

It reminds me of the regional term Shoobies, which refers to visitors to the shore who bring their lunch in shoeboxes.
posted by jennypower at 9:24 AM on August 20, 2018

There's this bit from A Year In Provence, by Peter Mayle, where one of the locals is disparaging German tourists:

"Germans with tents don't buy anything except bread," he said with a sniff of disdain. "You should see their cars - stuffed with German sausage, German beer, tins of sauerkraut. They bring it all with them. Mean? They're real pisse-vinaigres."
posted by Daily Alice at 9:43 AM on August 20, 2018

This sounds like it could be from a Bill Bryson book. Let me dig.
posted by ocherdraco at 10:36 AM on August 20, 2018

I searched the text of a few of them and didn’t find it, alas.
posted by ocherdraco at 12:02 PM on August 20, 2018

« Older Looking for Luxury Resort, Spa in Traverse City...   |   What dinner dish should I bring for a beach... Newer »