How to use QOS to prioritize traffic to certain devices on home network

There are a lot of devices on my home network. I want to get the best possible internet to 3 PCs (either by MAC address or by static IP) and leave the other devices to get whatever bandwidth is left over. I'm having trouble understanding QOS in general and the router documentation isn't helping me much.

I have a Comtrend AR-5381u modem/router. The modem configuration has pages for QOS Queue Setup, QOS Policer Setup, and QOS Classification Setup. The Classification page shows columns for MAC addresses and IP addresses but I'm just not sure how to set it all up right. I don't want to prioritize by traffic types (voice, video, etc). I just want to prioritize all traffic to and from the specific PCs.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers you could give.
posted by DarkForest to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

QOS is usually used to prioritize a particular kind of traffic over other kinds, but for all nodes on the network.

I work next to the network guys as a sysadmin, and my understanding is that you don’t exactly allocate bandwidth the same way that you do quotas on, say, disk space. But I could be wrong.
posted by wenestvedt at 5:17 PM on August 18, 2018

I think the MAC settings for a given device is what you need to consider adjusting.
posted by rongorongo at 11:35 PM on August 18, 2018

rongorongo: Thanks, but unfortunately my ISP-provided modem/router does not have a simple interface for prioritizing MAC addresses like that. I may have to do further research to find out if it is possible to do what I want given the QOS settings that my router actually provides (Queues, Policers and Classifications).

I guess I should also be looking into adding on a separate router to my modem, that has the ability to prioritize by MAC address. But I'd hoped to get away without spending a lot of money.
posted by DarkForest at 5:04 PM on August 19, 2018

I think that - even if you are not paying to rent your router from your ISP, it is probably worth replacing it with your own - even a budget one from a recommended list. Apart from better of handling of things like QOS prioritisations - it will probably tend to give better Wi-Fi coverage, etc
posted by rongorongo at 10:49 PM on August 19, 2018

« Older School lunch hacks, for older kids   |   Using probit regressions coefficients to derive... Newer »