Looking for a iPad Pro app good for tracing photos

I have a iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil and would like an app that allows/enables me to do some basic drawing based on photos I take.

So, an app that lets you load an image in the “background” and then there’s like a piece of clear(ish) “tracing paper” over it that you could draw over the image with.

When you are done, you could then save the drawing “layer” as a standalone graphic file (jpg, tiff, whatever).

In this way, I could do sketch-like drawings from photos that I take. I would probably mostly us it for architectual images.

A bonus would be if you could easily “grab” a color from the actual photo, and then draw/paint with that color on the “tracing paper” (instead of having to keep going to a color picker or a limited palette to try and pick the closest color to, say, the blue of the sky in the background).

So, if I took a photo of this color-filled window, I could sketch out the basic shapes of the wood parts and then “grab” the basic color of each pane of colored glass to sketch/fill with.

It would also be nice if you could choose different styles of drawing like “oil pastels on thick paper” or “colored pencils”, et cetera.

I do have both the Pixelmator app and the Affinity Photo app and I’m guessing I could probably do something kind of like this using layers like one might in Photoshop, but I thought there might be an easier way to do it with a more focused drawing/sketching/tracing app.

Any ideas?
posted by blueberry to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Procreate lets you do almost exactly what you're describing.
posted by Sokka shot first at 1:47 PM on August 16, 2018 [6 favorites]

I use Sketchbook for this! It's so fun. Tracing photos is very relaxing.
posted by zoetrope at 2:04 PM on August 16, 2018 [2 favorites]

Procreate is fantastic. I use this feature constantly for my illustrations.
posted by Crystalinne at 2:08 PM on August 16, 2018

Procreate is my favourite iPad app of all time. If you find it hard to figure out, tap the wrench symbol and the help button inside it that will link you to the active and very helpful forum...or MeMail me.
posted by bonobothegreat at 4:42 PM on August 16, 2018 [3 favorites]

Tayasui Sketches does this. Multiple layers. Great tools. Free.
posted by Thorzdad at 5:29 AM on August 17, 2018

« Older How do you organize your personal/professional...   |   Pharmacy Technician + Newer »