Business without Business School

I want to go to business school without going to business school.

I need a crash-course in business. I want a book or a podcast.

Here's the kind of thing I'm looking to learn about: I recently heard a presentation where the speaker presented a three-step process to business. He said: 1) recognize a need, 2) create something of value to meet that need, and 3) communicate how your valuable thing meets that need.

I want to know where to find these sorts of ideas, and I'd like to find it in a basic, crash-course book or podcast. I think the three-step process above comes from Harvard's HBX. I might sign up to do that when I have more time. However, I've learned a lot personally simply from reading really good books, such as The Effective Manager and Project Management for the Unofficial Project Manager.

Do you all have suggestions? What books have helped you in the workplace?
posted by uncannyslacks to Education (3 answers total) 22 users marked this as a favorite

You want this! The Personal MBA
posted by unexpected at 12:20 PM on August 6, 2018 [6 favorites]

What are you trying to accomplish with this? That 3 step process is not what 'business school' is about. It's more like entrepreneurship maybe. Business school is about hard learning - accounting, finance, marketing, some business level computer science, some project management, and some law - that is required to be a part of a business, but not necessarily the CEO coming up with great ideas.

If you want more stuff like 'He said: 1) recognize a need, 2) create something of value to meet that need, and 3) communicate how your valuable thing meets that need', focus your search on entrepreneurship.
posted by The_Vegetables at 9:16 AM on August 7, 2018

« Older Slackbot for onboarding new Slack users   |   Advice for instructors working with sign language... Newer »