Help me keep my sheet together

I have a tub washer, Maytag, Bravos 6 years old, no agitator. My clothes and linens are significantly more holey.

I don’t use the power wash cycle if I can avoid it (fast wash) should I do everything on delicates? Or put everything in lingerie bags, assuming I can find one big enough for a king sized sheet?
posted by tilde to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

A lot of people are complaining that Maytag Bravos are harsh on clothes, largely due to the very small amounts of water the machine uses & the way the clothes rub against each other without much water to cushion them. I saw several reviews where people said using the "deep water" fill option was the only one that actually got their clothes clean & didn't tear them.

If you want to put your sheets in bags, you might look for larger mesh/nylon laundry bags rather than lingerie bags.
posted by belladonna at 7:30 AM on August 5, 2018 [1 favorite]

An acquaintance said she was getting holes when using the highest spin speed on her HE front-loader. She said using the slowest spin speed solved it for her.
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 7:36 AM on August 5, 2018

Until recently I had a Bravos washer, and used delicate wash most of the time because our clothes weren’t very dirty. It did require pre-treating collar grime and spots that needed something stronger...but I would have done a good amount of pre-treating in any case. The downside to the delicate cycle is that it uses a slower spin, so the clothes end up wetter at the end of the cycle. If necessary, I ran a fast spin before putting a load in the dryer or hanging things to dry...the spin didn’t seem to harm the clothes. I put jeans and towels through the standard wash cycle, and sheets got the ‘bulky’ deep water setting.

About a month ago, rust started flaking off and staining the clothes. I was so happy to get rid of that washer.
posted by wryly at 1:55 PM on August 5, 2018

If the clothes are rubbing against each other more, it's the more important to zip all zippers (and button pants to keep the zippers zipped, etc). Zipper teeth are well-named.
posted by clew at 3:33 PM on August 5, 2018

Another culprit might be a weakening of the fibers due to a harsh product not being fully rinsed out after use. If the Maytag Bravos are known to use less water per load, your usual measurements for detergent/bleach etc. might be too much for this particular washer. I used to always throw a scoop of oxiclean in with my wash in addition to my detergent, then I got a new HE washer and found that I had to eliminate that step because it was eating my clothes.
posted by DSime at 9:04 AM on August 6, 2018

Thanks all. I’ve used extra rinse as a default... and I’ll make sure to watch what I set it at was wise.

Ido the zipper thing for the few things that have zippers; bras get mangled even if closed and in a lingerie bag.

I’m careful to only wash sheets and blankets together, but I bought a tougher sheet (linin) and will be more aware.

As for detergents ... I use 1oz of Charlie’s soap and borax once a month on sheets.
posted by tilde at 7:19 AM on August 8, 2018

« Older UK Helplines for the partners of people suffering...   |   Advice for the parents of a returning Peace Corps... Newer »