UK Helplines for the partners of people suffering from depression?

Is there an equivalent of the Samaritans helpline for people whose partners are currently going through mental health issues (analogous to al-anon as a support group for the partners of alcoholics)?

My friend's spouse is currently suffering from a severe depression, stemming from something in his childhood and triggered by some recent medical events in his immediate family. My friend is doing her best to support him, but he won't talk about his problems with her and is currently refusing to seek therapy or medication.

My friend needs help and support, and whilst she's looking to find a therapist for herself, she wondered if there exists a helpline of some sort which she could call to get some advice and a sympathetic ear. I suggested The Samaritans as a great way to get the latter, but she doesn't feel that that's appropriate for her situation.

Any suggestions?
posted by six sided sock to Grab Bag (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

if your friends are in Scotland, SAMH offer a range of mental health services including support for family and friends of people experiencing mental health issues. I hope things work out for your friends
posted by Jakey at 3:13 AM on August 5 [1 favorite]

Perhaps an employee assistance program through her work?
posted by 8603 at 9:12 AM on August 5

You can pretty much call any of them, they are not only for people suffering from mental health issues, but also for those living with them/taking care of them.

Here: SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's) National Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

And there's "SANEline is a national out-of-hours mental health helpline offering specialist emotional support, guidance and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers. We are open every day of the year from 4.30pm to 10.30pm on 0300 304 7000."
posted by speakeasy at 9:56 AM on August 5

The Mind Infoline might be able to point her in the direction of support in her local area.

Also, the Samaritans say "We offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal."
It's a horrible situation she finds herself in, and I think that the Samaritans would consider it the sort of thing that they would offer a listening ear about.
posted by Vortisaur at 10:45 AM on August 5

« Older Is this how antidepressants work?   |   Help me keep my sheet together Newer »