Can I toast sticky rice in advance (for laab)?

For making laab, can I toast the sticky rice in bulk and freeze it (or even store it in the pantry), or does it go stale?
posted by pompomtom to Food & Drink (4 answers total)

I toast rice, grind it in a mortar and store it in a tupperware in my spice cupboard. It seems to retain it's toasty taste indefinitely.
posted by conifer at 4:17 AM on August 4, 2018

I do this without issue and, like conifer, feel like the taste maintains for at least a couple of months. However, I've mostly seen recipes (such as this one) recommend staying away from storing it.
posted by youarenothere at 4:55 AM on August 4, 2018

Yes, to your question that you can store ahead and no need to freeze. But you can also buy the toasted rice at a Viet store ready to go. The roasted pork with pork skin, used in banh mi and broken rice dishes, is dressed with toasted rice.

I would not store it for months. It is pretty easy to toast rice and blitz in a spice grinder i.e., dedicated coffee grinder.
posted by jadepearl at 2:54 PM on August 4, 2018

Thank you all.
posted by pompomtom at 4:13 AM on August 6, 2018

« Older When HR isn't forthcoming - at all - about PTO?   |   Where can I buy indigo dyeing supplies in person? Newer »