DWAI and collateral damage on my new career. Potential solution.

I just graduated last may with a masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. I also just graduated into my first criminal charge of DWAI and learned that doctor prescribed medication is not something the police approve of. Otherwise until now my record is clean. So I know the DWAI charges are nothing I can change. I understand that I just have to deal and acknowledgge that this could affect my job search. So that's not what I'm asking about here. There's more.

So I am now on parole for the next 7 months and during this time I am required to take alcohol/drug education classes and therapy.

The first part of the problem is that the only times I can attend these classes is during regular 9-5 working hours. That's a major problem. Who wants to hire a person that can't work a normal schedule because of a criminal charge?

Additionally, my travel is extremely limited and any job in my new field may require more than the average amout of travel. On top of that the classes are in the middle of the week and you only can have three absences an immediated dismissal from the class on the fourth absence no matter the circumstances. So this is another complication that is unnatractive to hiring managers.

I'm concerned I may have to wait until February or March before I can do a realistic job search in my field and suck it up and take a temp job that will at least give me some income.

Problem part two, does it look wierd and make me a less attractive candidate if I have a gap of 10 or so months without entering my field after graduating?

Let me know any thoughts or potential solutions.

I can't understand how the parole department can expect people to find jobs especially with the class/therapy sheduling during the day. I guess it is what it is. If anybody has anything to say about this employment gap issue please let me know and thanks.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Try to get an internship for 3-4 days a week that would not interfere with your required classes. Internships are good for resumes, recommendations, and are commonly seen on the CV of recent graduates.
posted by xo at 11:00 AM on August 1, 2018 [1 favorite]

I don't know about your field specifically, but in general, I'd say no. The job market is tough, and it can take awhile to get started. But you should have something on your resume -- an internship, some volunteer work, a part-time job even if unrelated to your field. If it is unpaid, generally that makes scheduling a little more flexible, but you may find something paid that still has the flexibility. Try to find something that works around the required classes even if it's weekends-only.

To summarize, some options:

1. Internships in your field - paid
2. Internships in your field - unpaid
3. Unrelated work, part-time - paid
4. Unrelated volunteer work, part-time - unpaid
posted by epanalepsis at 11:08 AM on August 1, 2018 [1 favorite]

Pure speculation: I wonder if there are private treatment programs which would meet the court's requirements and be held at more flexible times? (of course, this could be $$$, but if it enables you to get a toehold on the job market, it might be worth it?)
posted by Larry David Syndrome at 11:11 AM on August 1, 2018 [2 favorites]

I'm concerned I may have to wait until February or March before I can do a realistic job search in my field and suck it up and take a temp job that will at least give me some income. Problem part two, does it look wierd and make me a less attractive candidate if I have a gap of 10 or so months without entering my field after graduating?

I think getting through your probation/classes/counseling period and working some sort of temporary/flex hours job to make some money is fine and a practical solution. Meanwhile, ABSOLUTELY also volunteer for organizations in your intended field. For the optics, for the practical experience, and for the networking.

If you're even asked about the gap (which you may not be, because yeah, it's hard to get started right out of school) then you can just say that you had address a family emergency for a few months that made it impossible to work full-time, and then segue right into how the volunteering you did was incredibly insightful and valuable job-related experience, etc.
posted by desuetude at 12:37 PM on August 1, 2018

You could consider positioning yourself as a consultant and seeking work on an independent contractor/freelance basis. In most cases that will not involve answering questions about your record and by definition should allow you some leeway to set your own hours. It sounds like this is a hiccup for you and that you're not feeling like there is an underlying issue preventing you from doing good work. It's no small task to get started in consulting, but it's the kind of thing that many masters level folks in I/O do anyway...so even if you decided it wasn't ultimately for you, it could fill the resume gap and no one would bat an eye. Feel free to Memail me if you want more advice or resources for exploring that path.
posted by shelbaroo at 5:28 AM on August 4, 2018

« Older Tween shopping blues   |   Need two houseplant identifications Newer »