Fascism summary about in-groups and out-groups?

I vaguely recall a quote, and would like to know where it's from. Paraphrased, it's "fascism boils down to, there is an in-group and an out-group, everything is permitted for the in-group, nothing is permitted for the out-group."

I don't remember if it was fascism specifically or right-wing in general, but I'm sure the in-group / out-group part was there.
posted by RobotHero to Law & Government (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

This one? It's about conservatism, not facism, but it's a dead ringer for the in group and out group bit.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” -- Frank Wilhoit.
posted by foxfirefey at 4:13 PM on July 30, 2018 [17 favorites]

That's it. So apparently the original source is a comment on the Crooked Timber blog? Somehow I was expecting it was something older than that, being applied to current events, rather than something directly commenting on current events.

He does put his finger on something, I think.
posted by RobotHero at 4:40 PM on July 30, 2018

The Crooked Timber comment.
posted by flabdablet at 4:45 PM on July 30, 2018 [3 favorites]

« Older Name my (medical speech pathology) business   |   Are there any proven benefits of alkaline water? Newer »