Twitter Free Tweet Reading

I'd like to follow a bunch of twitter accounts without myself signing up. What's the best way?

I've realized in the last year there are an awful lot of people I trust and find interesting on twitter pointing to their own and other people's work. I'd love a page where I can follow them all.

This seems like a reason to sign up for a twitter account, but unfortunately I've also seen a lot of the times in the last year where I would have liked to cancel a twitter account as protest against some of their editorial / administrative decisions.

Is there a way to keep up with people without joining? I fiddled with the embed timeline HTML widget but it won't really work--too many accounts, tough to read, generally just not a good way to get the information.

The fallback is bookmarking all the ones I like and opening in tabs. Is there anything better?
posted by mark k to Technology (7 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

You could use an RSS reader (I use Feedly, but there's lots of options out there) and a Twitter-to-RSS tool like this to subscribe to your chosen feeds.

I'm pretty much off Twitter, but I use services like this to keep up with two or three really good Twitter accounts, alongside my other RSS subscriptions.
posted by Happy Dave at 11:05 PM on July 24, 2018

I have a Twitter account so I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I use Nuzzel to aggregate all the top links that get shared by people I follow. Basically if 5 people I follow tweet a link, it appears n my feed. Otherwise I assumed an RSS reader would be what you want.

Ideally you could create an idle account where you can follow people or curate some lists without ever tweeting yourself or spending time on the platform yourself. I think Twitter is trying to clean up the trolling and extremist hate groups posing as "alt-right" activists but I agree there's a lot of work to be done.
posted by AppleTurnover at 1:17 AM on July 25, 2018

Could you create one account to follow people you like so you can continue using twitter, then just create additional spare accounts that you can then cancel as required when you need to protest something?
posted by JonB at 1:28 AM on July 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

Creating accounts you don't use doesn't work if you are against Twitter's policies, because even those accounts drive up numbers, and therefore Twitter's value.
posted by Violet Hour at 1:36 AM on July 25, 2018

I idly follow three or four people and I just have them bookmarked. I actually find some improved peace of mind from not having them concatenated into one feed. It reduces my subjective sense that everybody is yelling and everything is awful all the time. Source: I used to use twitter heavily as self-medication during a really lonely period in my career.
posted by eirias at 6:44 AM on July 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

Sure, but so does giving them page views and tweet reads and API calls and RSS subscribes, so this particular thing seems like a weird line to draw. If you're against Twitter morally then don't read Twitter. Making an account is not the difference between showing your support and not.
posted by brainmouse at 6:52 AM on July 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

Otherwise I assumed an RSS reader would be what you want.
Twitter does not provide RSS feeds directly, so you have to use some kind of tool like the one Happy Dave linked. I feel like they used to provide that but stopped so they can track interactions themselves instead of sending them out to another service.
posted by soelo at 7:49 AM on July 25, 2018

« Older Give a dog a bone?   |   Am I Typhoid Mary if I don't use wipes? Newer »