Bed bugs or not bed bugs?

I can't believe I'm asking one of these, but here we go. Bed bugs or not bed bugs? Pictures: one, two, three. Bugs found in the floor cracks of my wooden floor, about 6-8mm long, kind of look like mini beetles, dark blackish-brown color except for one that apparently got bleached by drying out in the sun.

Yes, I have reason to suspect a bed bug situation (I have bites of some kind, and neighbors have recently had bed bug issues), but firm evidence is somewhat lacking (no obvious blood or feces yet). If these are clearly bed bugs, then I can at least have a course of action.
posted by Questolicious to Home & Garden (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

These look like black carpet beetles to me, a curse which I have confused w/bed bugs many times. Bed bugs are round and flat generally (these aren't) and translucent (these aren't) and ribbed. Here's a black-looking bed bug, which still looks very different from your specimens!
posted by peppercorn at 4:14 PM on July 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

no, those are some sort of beetle. (I don't know what kind of beetle, I live in a binary bedbug/notbedbug world.)
posted by fingersandtoes at 4:24 PM on July 18, 2018 [2 favorites]

Not a bed bug. Source: Had an infestation a bunch of years ago and believe me, you learn to identify them.
posted by holborne at 4:36 PM on July 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

Most definitely not a bedbug. This is based upon clear presence of elytra, which bedbugs do not have. Also when you can tell by squishing one: bedbugs don’t crunch, these will, because they are beetles.
posted by SaltySalticid at 4:43 PM on July 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

Those are definitely beetles. Carpet beetle hairs cause rashes and allergies in some people.
posted by pseudostrabismus at 5:09 PM on July 18, 2018

Glad to hear it. Gonna set out a sugar-water-yeast bed bug trap just in case though. Fingers crossed.
posted by Questolicious at 5:37 PM on July 18, 2018

I never used it so I'm not the person to outline how to set it up, but you could put diatomaceous earth down as a "barrier" to kill bedbugs that might come in from your neighbor. Check bedbugger.com and other resources. If you do that, make sure you get the kind that cannot be accidentally inhaled.
posted by WCityMike at 6:21 PM on July 18, 2018

A while ago I found some pyrethrin-laced diatomaceous earth. Don't use it around food or inhale it, but it is doubly effective for insect control.
posted by coberh at 7:08 PM on July 18, 2018

Carpet beetles can irritate skin, with small bites or bumps.
posted by Ms. Moonlight at 12:56 AM on July 19, 2018

1000% not bed bugs. After seeing them up close and personal (that was a lovely day), they are unmistakeable.

That said, not seeing bedbugs doesn't definitively rule out bedbugs, and it's good to keep investigating if you're getting unexplained bites. Little bastards are very, very good at hiding. Even the pest guy we called in almost didn't find them. But there are tons of other things that can cause bites/rashes... hopefully it's something else in your case.
posted by randomnity at 7:50 AM on July 19, 2018

Welp, after setting out a trap and sleeping in the living room for 3 days, I am sad to report that I did indeed catch a live bed bug. Oh boy oh boy.
posted by Questolicious at 3:02 PM on July 21, 2018

My sympathies. You will get through this. Bedbugger is your friend.
posted by WCityMike at 6:25 PM on July 23, 2018

ahhh yeah, there it is. I'm sorry. Good luck.
posted by fingersandtoes at 7:21 PM on July 23, 2018

Update: we just moved out a few days ago. I was still finding live bedbugs in my trap after 2 separate heat treatments, likely from the neighbors or somewhere else in the walls. At least the landlord paid for the treatments and let us break the lease with no penalty. Good riddance.
posted by Questolicious at 7:50 PM on November 5, 2018

« Older I am compiling a playlist about lonesome losers....   |   HDMI splitter that will work automatically? Newer »