Camping in November

I've decided that I cannot even with my family this year and I want to take a week to camp at Thanksgiving.

Where are the best campsites for late fall that will be accessible by vehicle, less likely to have adverse weather and may still have amenities? I have a tent, but I am up for cabin/yurt/lodge recs too. Geographic boundary is HARD MAX 10 hours from St Louis.
posted by fluttering hellfire to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (1 answer total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

It's closer than you may be thinking, but Washington State Park, near DeSoto, MO, has cabins, at least a couple of which are year round, I think. It's a pretty area. (My grandfather lives nearby.)

Otherwise, head south. I would personally head towards SW Tennessee - it looks like State Park campgrounds there are still open in Nov.

In addition, I will mention that I am a big fan of National Forest Service campgrounds. http://recreation.gov/ is very useful for finding them and making reservations.
posted by jferg at 5:51 PM on July 14, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older how dumb would it be to sleep outside one night in...   |   Help me avoid having to buy a new 'fridge Newer »