You didn't hire me but can we connect on LinkedIn?

I had a phone screener set up by a recruiter, had a good conversation with the manager, but feedback was that they while they liked me, I was not what they were looking for. The recruiter also sent me the manager's LinkedIn profile. So: Is it acceptable to connect professionally with the manager that I spoke with? And, if so, any suggestions on how to phrase this? Thank you.

My feeling is something along the lines of: "Sorry to hear that I will not be joining your team however I enjoyed our conversation and I'd like to connect with you and your contacts. Please feel free to share my profile with anyone who you think might be interested."
posted by life moves pretty fast to Work & Money (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's totally fine to connect with them on LinkedIn. I would just say something simple like "I enjoyed our conversation and would like to stay in touch professionally." I receive these requests all the time from candidates and it's not weird at all.
posted by joan_holloway at 1:44 PM on July 12, 2018 [16 favorites]

This is fine, but don't include the explicit ask to connect with contacts. "Sorry to hear that I will not be joining your team; however, I enjoyed our conversation and look forward to staying in touch."
posted by capricorn at 1:45 PM on July 12, 2018 [6 favorites]

I recently lost an employee who, before we hired them, was " not what they were looking for" at another company, but a year later they were looking to fill a position he was a better fit for and called him up, much to my disappointment -- but if you want this sort of opportunity for yourself, being LinkedIn buddies only increases the likelihood you will still be on their radar in the future. Totally fine.
posted by AzraelBrown at 2:37 PM on July 12, 2018 [4 favorites]

I've done this as an applicant, and accepted requests from candidates we didn't move forward in a search. Go ahead (but agree with the sentiment above to not mention their contacts).
posted by Sweetie Darling at 3:49 PM on July 12, 2018 [1 favorite]

Absolutely connect wit them on Linkedin. I wouldn't say anything about them not hiring you, or ask them to introduce you to other people. joan_holloway's script is perfect.
posted by lunasol at 4:56 PM on July 12, 2018 [1 favorite]

I've done this, especially if I felt like I connected with the hiring manager or recruiter. I had a hiring manager recommend me to one of her contacts who had an open position that was a better fit.

For all the bad job hunting experiences, on my hunt I encountered a few amazing and kind people. It's worth connecting. You have nothing to lose.
posted by parakeetdog at 5:28 PM on July 12, 2018 [1 favorite]

Unanimous! Thanks all for stopping me from overthinking this one.
posted by life moves pretty fast at 3:29 AM on July 13, 2018

« Older Real estate floor plan photos   |   How can I listen to music while I swim laps Newer »