Google Analytics - How do I report this (metric X, by day, all pages)?

I use Google Analytics a relatively small amount, but I've taken a couple intro courses and can do some damage. Still, I'm struggling to create this report: - Some metric (eg page views) - columns = specific pages within our site - rows = date (eg June 1 to June 30 by day)

(It looks so simple and yet, I've spent a ton of time searching for this and for some reason can't figure it. Part of the trouble seems to be that a lot of the key terms for the mechanics of Google Analytics are very general words. Also, the topic spawns a lot of solicitation content instead of help content.)

So far I've done a lot of tinkering in custom reports and to no avail. The crux of the difficulty seems to be in representing the second part, specific pages. I'd like to be able to analyze, eg, Sessions for all of the pages that would represent at least 95% of the traffic within a given period (for our website this is probably 15-20 different pages).

*I don't need one of those big macros that fools GA into a massive export. I really just need to be able to look at the top group of pages that contain the traffic for these metrics.

I can easily find sections of the preset reporting that will show me the top pages by volume within a given time period. But the visual preset report are totals for time period X and lists the top 10/20/50 pages by volume. Close, but not quite.

If I export this in a csv, it does something different: It shows all (eg) Sessions for all pages, summed for each day. Again, close, but it's all in one column (instead of separating the content by unique web urls).

How do I build a report that shows me each day for the top X pages for a given metric?
posted by Reasonably Everything Happens to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Have you tried the pivot table view in the Behavior -> Site Content -> All Pages report? It won't get you the per-date view, but it will get you the comparison of the top pages on your site for whatever metric you want to look at over a period of time.
posted by torridly at 7:01 AM on July 10, 2018

Best answer: I think you want the metric of pageviews, actually, because Google does weird stuff with sessions. Consider these two trips to your website:

home page -> about us -> contact us
about us -> contact us

You'd assume that About Us would receive two sessions. It actually doesn't! It gets one, because it starts a session. It does get two pageviews. That first trip doesn't trigger a session for the "about us" page, even though the session includes the "about us" page. Google Analytics is weird.

So it sounds like what you want is pageviews per page per day over a time period. You'll want to:

Set the desired time period
Go to Behavior > Site Content > All Pages
Select the secondary dimension of Page Index
Show rows: however many you need (I'd go max and then delete what I don't need)
Export

That will give you a report per day for each page, for pageviews, entrances, exit rate, and the like of standard page metrics. You can have that for each page by URL or each page by Title, depending on your preference.

Segments will allow you to do the same export but sliced by traffic medium, device type, converting v non-converting users, etc. Please feel welcome to memail me for additional setup advice.
posted by hapaxes.legomenon at 6:45 PM on July 10, 2018

Response by poster: Set the desired time period
Export

In the above, should 'Page Index' be 'Day Index' ?

I wasn't able to find 'Page Index' as a 2ndary dimension. Though I did it with 'Day Index' and it's a decent approximation of what I'm looking for.

Basically it creates something where the rows are a combination of (1) pages for the (2) selected date range and it exports the top X results (in this case 5,000).

What I'm really trying to do, though, is to create an export for more than one column worth of pages.

Eg, in your recommendation above it gives an export with a number of metrics:
(so the columns across are...)

(columns)
Page (url)
Day Index (date)
Pageviews
Unique Pageviews
Avg. Time
Entrances
Bounce Rate
% Exit
Page Value

(rows)
...5000 top results for combination of url totals for a given date

This is good, but the result I'm really after is:
(columns)

Pageviews for URL ranked #1 in pageviews
Pageviews for URL ranked #2 in pageviews
Pageviews for URL ranked #3 in pageviews
...
Pageviews for URL ranked #10 in pageviews

...all by each day...

(rows)
Day Index (date)
posted by Reasonably Everything Happens at 7:56 AM on July 11, 2018

« Older Babymoon in the Seattle Area   |   What shirts should I wear to work?? Newer »