Need a Chicago Restaurant Recommendation

I'm taking an acquaintance-friend to lunch soon but haven't lived in Chicago for several years and am out of touch with what's happening. Where can we go? A few criteria inside.

My friend is well traveled and has been to Chicago before, so I'm not looking for touristy. Downtown/Loop/Mag Mile/River North is preferred. Upscale-ish with relaxed, not-too-loud atmosphere for catching up over good food.

Much appreciated!
posted by Short Attention Sp to Food & Drink (9 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Mariposa inside Neiman Marcus on Michigan Avenue would fit your requirements. My mom, sister, and I recently had lunch there and it was absolutely delicious.
posted by SisterHavana at 4:43 PM on July 7, 2018

Exchequer or Miller's Pub, near Adams-Wabash.
posted by WCityMike at 5:14 PM on July 7, 2018 [1 favorite]

Publican!
posted by bdk3clash at 5:17 PM on July 7, 2018 [1 favorite]

Cochon Valant (attached to the Hyatt) on Monroe is usually fairly quiet, though crowded (good wine list). Atwood on Washington gets a little crowded but stays quiet--it's been there a while, but it recently re-did itself (used to be Cafe Atwood)--I like it for guests.

The Marq, which opened in the old Greek diner space at the Marquette, is tasty. I've never been at lunch time during the week, so I don't know how noisy it is. Rittergut Wine Bar tends to be quiet at lunch, but the food--while good--is pretty much on par with most decent restaurants in town and does not stand out as a special place to go.

I took some consultants to Trattoria 10 a little while ago for lunch--it was quiet and everyone very much liked their food.

The MCA just got a new restaurant, Marisol, which is delicious but still a little crazy, with all the buzz and people still checking it out. Also has a good wine list.

I'm a fan of Farmhouse, too, but at Chicago and Franklin, might be outside your neighborhood parameters.
posted by crush at 6:07 PM on July 7, 2018 [1 favorite]

I was going to suggest Marisol. Maybe the Drawing Room at the Chicago Athletic Association? It’s technically the lobby but has a good snack menu and it’s comfortable and good for chatting. Cherry Circle Room and Cindy’s are also good in the same hotel (definitely head up to Cindy’s for a drink if you’re there!) but in my mind there’s nothing better for catching up than a cheese plate and a comfy couch.
posted by jeweled accumulation at 7:41 PM on July 7, 2018 [1 favorite]

Spiaggia is an Obama favorite .
posted by brujita at 8:05 PM on July 7, 2018

Longman & Eagle
posted by matildaben at 10:43 PM on July 7, 2018

Thank you, all! I've opted for Marisol this time, and am putting Mariposa on my to-do list.
posted by Short Attention Sp at 5:36 AM on July 8, 2018

Exchequer and Miller's Pub are perhaps my two favorites, so imagine my joy at your response, WCityMike
posted by DrAstroZoom at 2:19 PM on July 11, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older How do I soap?   |   I want to read more Native American authors. Newer »