Desperately seeking female British flick title

Movie trivia - killer! Trying to recall a 1960s-ish (?) movie about a knock-out female British hair dresser who decides to improve herself and take continuing-ed university classes - very toff university, very toff professor (possibly Donald Sutherland or Peter O'Toole - except I can't seem to find anything similar on their IMDB career lists). Very along the lines of 'To Sir With Love,' (shot similar also) but focusing on the female's growth from bleached blonde bimbo to an academic over-achiever. Arg, this is killing me. Anyone remember this flick?
posted by eatdonuts to Media & Arts (10 answers total)

Educating Rita?
posted by iconomy at 10:50 AM on February 9, 2006

Educating Rita?
posted by Snerd at 10:51 AM on February 9, 2006

Educating Rita? Though it's from the '80s, not the '60s.
posted by scody at 10:51 AM on February 9, 2006

Holy Crap. Thank you. That's been killing me for the last two days! I knew it had to be something along those lines - on the tip of my brain. Could Ask.Mefi be the great buddah?
posted by eatdonuts at 10:56 AM on February 9, 2006

Sorry, you already used up your question for this week ;)
posted by iconomy at 11:00 AM on February 9, 2006

Trivia - althugh "set" in a UK college, ER was actually filmed on location in Trinity College, Dublin. Many movies use Irish locations "silently", a classic example being Braveheart, which was mostly shot on location in Ireland. A counter example is Waking Ned, which although set in Ireland, was shot in the Isle of Man, or Ellan Vannin.
posted by meehawl at 11:31 AM on February 9, 2006

Jesus Christ, less than three minutes
posted by matteo at 11:41 AM on February 9, 2006

Meehawl- so Ireland is the UK equivalent of Canada, movie-making wise?
posted by MadamM at 4:21 PM on February 9, 2006

i really liked that movie!
posted by onlyconnect at 4:42 PM on February 9, 2006

so Ireland is the UK equivalent of Canada

Yes, except replace hockey with hurling - a far faster and more violent game where the main objective is to remove the other players' teeth using sticks.
posted by meehawl at 12:40 PM on February 11, 2006

« Older Who the heck did I send that to??   |   Where did the Quizno apostrophe and plural go? Newer »