Name that song, limited info - next chapter

So yesterday I was in a Starbucks in an airport, and the song they were playing was kind of a medium tempo funky thing. I liked it.

I couldn't hear the lyrics clearly, but in the chorus the hook was "old songs..." as in "play me those [beat] old songs... [beat] 8 track... " I could have that wrong.

They didn't have a cd displayed in the store, and looked wayyyy too busy (line out the door) for me to interrupt them for some stupid question about the music. As you might imagine, googling for "old songs" is not going to get the job done.

Anyone know the song?
posted by ctmf to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Betty Wright Old Songs
posted by fluttering hellfire at 8:11 PM on June 17, 2018 [6 favorites]

Wild Cherry, Play that Funky Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZsNksbw2Q

Play that funky music ...
posted by Marie Mon Dieu at 8:53 PM on June 17, 2018

The odds seem low, but the rhythm of the lyric sounds vaguely like the hook of Lizzo's "Good As Hell" to my broken brain.
posted by Going To Maine at 9:30 PM on June 17, 2018 [1 favorite]

It was the Betty Wright one! Thanks, fluttering hellfire!
posted by ctmf at 9:54 PM on June 17, 2018

But Good as Hell is a great song too!
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 4:02 AM on June 18, 2018

For the future, and this has saved me SO MANY missed songs, get yourself the Shazam app! Sometimes it doesn't work in super loud environments but I have found some amazing songs that otherwise would have been lost to me!
posted by cooker girl at 7:47 AM on June 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

Also for the future: the Starbucks app will tell you the song currently playing at the Starbucks location you're at if you have location services enabled.
posted by simplethings at 2:27 PM on June 18, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Sassy, sentient mecha suits?   |   Seattle Filter: Name of Divorce Attorney Newer »