Was there a power outage in Rio today?

Hive mind...Anyone know whether (or how I'd find out whether) there were issues with power outages in Rio today? Are power outages common there? I didn't see anything on news sites like Rio Times Online, but am in the US and reading only the English-language version of Rio websites, so am completely in the dark about whether I've got the full story.
posted by quinoa to Grab Bag (6 answers total)

Blackouts are rare but there are power outages routinely in Rio. Some neighborhoods are hit more often than others. Since it's summer and power demand is high, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a power outage today.
posted by DarlingBri at 6:12 PM on June 12

It’s not summer in Rio.
posted by vunder at 6:15 PM on June 12 [2 favorites]

Jesus I'm an idiot. My apologies.
posted by DarlingBri at 7:22 PM on June 12

I just skimmed Brazilian newspapers from Rio (in Portuguese), and there is no indication that there was a generalized “apagão” today. Obviously, some neighborhoods suffer from power outages every day, and in areas with little infrastructure, it is a indeed a part of life, and certainly warrants no mention from the media. So that’s not to say that there were no outages today, but nothing so extensive that it was reported in the news.
posted by msali at 8:34 PM on June 12

Chrome browser translates websites.
posted by Homer42 at 8:55 PM on June 12

Thanks, msali! That was so helpful, I wish I could do more than a "thank you." I'll aim to pay it forward!
posted by quinoa at 10:38 PM on June 12

« Older Getting email at a domain that uses third party...   |   What's the absolute easiest way from Vancouver to... Newer »