lettering question
June 11, 2018 6:54 AM   Subscribe

What is the name of, or quick (1 or 2 word?) way to describe, the kind of handwritten lettering, often on signs made by kids etc., where the letters are drawn as outlines, that is, the center of the letter is empty space and the outline forms the letter?
posted by velveeta underground to Grab Bag (12 answers total)
Block Letters?
posted by jmsta at 6:56 AM on June 11 [3 favorites]

Bubble letters?
posted by MadamM at 6:56 AM on June 11 [18 favorites]

Open block lettering?
posted by pammeke at 6:57 AM on June 11

yeah, assuming I'm correctly picturing what you're describing, I know it as bubble lettering.
posted by russm at 6:57 AM on June 11 [2 favorites]

I always called that "bubble letters".
posted by Cygnet at 6:58 AM on June 11

Block letters just means print (as opposed to cursive), but looks like some people are calling it block lettering if it's squared off and bubble lettering if it's rounded.
posted by camyram at 7:01 AM on June 11 [3 favorites]

I called it bubble writing
posted by JonB at 7:17 AM on June 11

Bubble letters has always been my phrase for this.
posted by brook horse at 7:30 AM on June 11

"Bubble letters" definitely implies puffy, rounded shapes to me. The name I'd use if I wanted to be agnostic about the shape is outline font or outline letters.
posted by nebulawindphone at 7:41 AM on June 11 [2 favorites]

We always called them bubble letters.
posted by Knowyournuts at 8:46 AM on June 11

Bubble letters is what I called them growing up, and bubble letters is what my Girl Scouts call them now, too, so it's not generational.
posted by phunniemee at 9:31 AM on June 11

Bubble letters is a fine description for what you mentioned. That term often gets thought of as the thing you see on primary school bulletin boards. It's not an incorrect term but it's maybe more specific than what you're looking for.

If you want any hand-written typeface with space inside of letters then term you looking for is script open, or open script.

More here.
posted by nushustu at 10:44 AM on June 11

« Older Can/Should I invite my caucus comrades to a party?   |   Why does Skype randomly run through set-up? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments