A Document Manager/Browser for a Small Company

A small company I work with needs a small-scale knowledge management solution. Google Drive doesn't offer a "curated" enough interface, while something like Sharepoint would probably be too large and unwieldy.

"How do I enable an employee to explore a resource that they didn't know they needed?" That's the question on my mind as I try to find a document management solution for a company I work with.

We are a tutoring company, and lots of our tutors have resources that they want to share. Ideally, our document management solution would be more than just a Google Drive or a set of folders and tagged documents. It would be a place where tutors could post documents that they find useful, and other tutors could explore these documents through some sort of browser that is a bit more curated than just a set of Google Drive folders.

Whatever the solution is needs to be accessible via web browser, either hosted on our own server or through another site. I have enough of a web dev skillset to install a Git build or other pre-made solution.

I apologize if my description isn't very specific. I guess I don't know quite what I'm looking for, only that it should foster exploration and the ability to "stumble upon" something unexpectedly useful.

Thanks for your ideas and advice!
posted by chickenandwine to Technology (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Igloo is a nice middle ground between SharePoint and Google Drive, in my experience.
posted by delezzo at 9:11 AM on May 17

The organization I'm in uses a combination of Google Drive and Google Sites for this. We developed a folder structure that meets our overall needs within Drive. Units who need something more interactive create their own Google Site, with pages/commentary/links to the relevant resources in Google Drive.
posted by Lunaloon at 10:48 AM on May 17

I haven't used it yet, but our Sales Enablement team is starting to use Confluence for this.
posted by radioamy at 12:31 PM on May 17

We dabble in Confluence, it's not too shabby and is quite affordable. Far, far better than Sharepoint in just about every regard, though still a bit fiddly to set up.
posted by turbid dahlia at 4:37 PM on May 17

Thanks all for your advice! I ended up taking a similar approach to Lunaloon's suggestion. I installed Use-Your-Drive for Wordpress allowed me to build a bit of a front-end structure around our Google Drive.
posted by chickenandwine at 10:58 AM on May 20

« Older Ghosties for 3 year olds   |   Attention English Teachers - Looking for Short... Newer »