save and close yahoo

1. I want to close a really old yahoo email account. I can't figure out how to save or download messages first without opening each and forwarding it which is too time consuming. 2. After an account is closed, do they still mine and sell the data? I have many old email accounts and wonder this for both yahoo and gmail.

Please help. I have some old (over a decade) mail and attachments. I don't want to go through it all now, there are hundreds of thousands probably and 80% is list mail or ads that I don't want. Even of the personal mail I probably will only need a small fraction but I can't go through it all now. I haven't used the account in years and it's just really mainly piles of junk. But I did send myself some writing, etc and have some old correspondence I don't necessarily want to lose right now.
BUT when I google how to do this, it says to select "preferences" in Yahoo mail. I don't even see a Preferences tab. There are all sorts of icons but I can't see anything for preferences or anything like that.
Please help me do this easily. I want to:
1. Download mail (to a thumbdrive?)
2. Close my account
I need actual step by step help, like "click the little four square dot icon in the middle of the top right of the page on Settings" level help.
Thank you to anyone who has time to help with this!!
posted by velveeta underground to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Instead of using the web mail, you could use a real mail client like Thunderbird to connect, and then download all the messages at once. Is there a reason not to do so?

Here are some sample instructions for doing this: http://www.oeupdates.com/exporting-email-messages-yahoo/
posted by wenestvedt at 9:35 AM on May 16 [5 favorites]

I was going to suggest Thunderbird as well. When I was leaving jobs, to preserve my old emails and attachments in case I needed them: I'd connect my old email account to Thunderbird, plus a new Gmail account that would serve as my backup, and I was able to just highlight all the emails in the inbox and move them to the Gmail account and sync. Repeat for the sent folder. (Login and make sure it worked before you go deleting your account.) Now if I need to, I can just go in that Gmail account to look for them. But you could probably just use Thunderbird to download them too, if that's what you want.
posted by AppleTurnover at 10:08 AM on May 16 [1 favorite]

If you have a gmail account, you can import your yahoo mail messages into gmail. It may be easier to do this than downloading them to Thunderbird via IMAP.

Re: data mining, these services probably aren't mining your data in the way that you're thinking of; rather, they are typically displaying ads when you look at the messages in the web client that are based on keywords in the message. Here is what Google has to say on the matter; and it appears that they announced in mid-2017 that they would stop scanning emails for ads.
posted by kdar at 10:55 AM on May 16 [1 favorite]

Re: data mining, these services probably aren't mining your data in the way that you're thinking of; rather, they are typically displaying ads when you look at the messages in the web client that are based on keywords in the message.

Here is what Oath, which Yahoo now is, says it will do with the data. It's pretty blatant about saying that they're going to mine it for all it's worth.
posted by clawsoon at 4:34 PM on May 16

« Older Preventing our outgoing email from being...   |   Shake It Up Newer »