Reccomend hospice care in Albuquerque?

My mother lives in Albuquerque and is in need of hospice care. She was connected with Heritage but they apparently don't offer an inpatient service, which my mother would much prefer over dying at home. So I'd love to hear recommendations for good inpatient hospice services in Albuquerque. Bonus if they take her insurance (Blue Cross and Medicaid), but that's not a primary concern at this point. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
posted by nixxon to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)

*Recommend, and Medicare (I think)

Sorry, a little out of my mind these days.
posted by nixxon at 3:27 PM on May 15

Kindred and Presbyterian are very well regarded by local healthcare providers and have an inpatient service. I am not sure about insurance but there is a good chance they would both take hers.

I am so sorry you are going through this. You have every reason to be a little out of your mind. I hope you are able to find a place that works for you both.
posted by Missense Mutation at 9:38 PM on May 15

Just in case anyone comes across this, we ended up going with Heritage Hospice and were very happy with them. It turns out, according to the hospice nurses, that inpatient care is not much more intensive than home visits. They'd still only check on you a couple of times a day, and you'd have at least one roommate which sounds pretty unpleasant.

My mother wanted more frequent visits than Heritage (or any hospice service) provided, so we also had caregivers from Helping Hands Senior Care come out three times a day to make sure she was clean and comfortable. Those people were truly amazing -- not cheap, but I can't recommend them highly enough.

If anyone has questions about this process feel free to pm me.
posted by nixxon at 12:57 PM on June 5

« Older How does a white person dress for an Afrofuturism...   |   Should I include a pending divorce on NIH... Newer »