App to improve spoken French comprehension?

I'd like to find an app that primarily practices recognizing conversational French, preferably with a travel focus.

Duolingo is pretty text-focused, only about 10% of the exercises are for recognition. I'd like an app (so I can use it on the go) that will drill me on recognizing numbers, basic phrases, etc. Desktop website/software would be acceptable if there's no good app. Bonus points if it uses voice recognition to evaluate my responses.
posted by wnissen to Writing & Language (2 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

The paid version of lingvist does this. It has the 5000 most used words in French and you can say the word for it to be recognized. It works rather well but trips up on homonyms.
posted by Lucubrator at 12:38 PM on May 15

A lot public libraries have subscriptions to Mango Languages, which library users can use for free. Otherwise, they are $20/month. Their French units have many travel-related segments--asking for directions, shopping & payment, hotels, etc. The focus is on spoken & conversational language.
posted by carrioncomfort at 10:08 AM on May 16

« Older Helping male friend in early 30s through extended...   |   Save the whales! What was this dimly remembered... Newer »