Event Listings for Chicago

What are you using these days to find stuff to do in Chicago? I'm looking for listings for anything and everything: live music, plays, dance performances, art shows, museum exhibits, movies, etc. Comprehensive listings are great but so are niche ones that focus on a specific genre or subgenre.

I feel like I am not finding out about things until after they are over and I want to do more than read reviews of things that have already happened!
posted by great_radio to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

If you happen to like experimental music, the Now-Is list is pretty great.
posted by wotsac at 3:01 PM on May 13, 2018

I think the answer for any city with population > 10 is Facebook Events.
posted by COD at 3:37 PM on May 13, 2018

do312.com
posted by Juliet Banana at 3:50 PM on May 13, 2018 [6 favorites]

Cine-file: A great website listing classic, independent, revival, and experimental cinema.
posted by mai at 3:51 PM on May 13, 2018 [2 favorites]

Might be too obvious, but the Reader?
posted by chimpsonfilm at 5:38 PM on May 13, 2018

Choose Chicago's Events and Shows calendar
posted by Constance Mirabella at 5:47 PM on May 13, 2018

I am on event mailing lists for the American Writer's Museum, the Newberry Library, the Chicago History Museum, the International Museum of Surgical Science and all the other small museums which have interesting events. Also, Binny's mailing list--they have really great tasting and learn about this booze events which are usually cheap. Sadly, I find mailing lists and Facebook events are the best sources now.
posted by crush at 6:31 PM on May 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

StoreBrandSoda.com for music, though the top post on there right now is about how it's not as active as it used to be.
posted by wires at 5:11 AM on May 15, 2018

Periodically check this -- he releases a Chicago Summer Calendar which has pretty much everything on it. Its Facebook page.

Facebook Local is a useful smartphone app.

SongKick is great for learning when artists you like come to town for concerts.
posted by WCityMike at 3:08 PM on May 15, 2018

Intelligent Event is pretty good for more esoteric stuff.
posted by me3dia at 12:45 PM on May 17, 2018

The newsletter comment reminded me: subscribe to Quimby's newsletter. They do lots of in-store events and, other than going in every week to look at the signs, that's the best way to learn about them.

Exact same recommendation for Bric-a-Brac Records.
posted by Juliet Banana at 9:03 PM on May 23, 2018

« Older Job interview advice, version: youth facilitation...   |   Best portable outdoor stereo?ii Newer »