Name that '70s synth tune

Synth instrumental, ca. 1975, used as broadcast news theme music as late as '80s. Haven't heard it since. No matches on the music search sites. I lost my original off-air recording; below is a wav file of a midi reproduction. URL is obviously temporary for this ask.

http://206.189.79.173/clip.wav
posted by zaixfeep to Grab Bag (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

You could try playing clips at the News Music Search Archive until you spot the one you're looking for. The site lets you drill down by year, region/state, station, etc.
posted by naju at 9:19 PM on May 9 [1 favorite]

I recheck the Archive every couple years. Lots of Tap Root Manuscript from thar era but not this.
Ed Grimley : Pat Sajak :: me : Stephen Arnold and Edd Kalehoff ... sad, really.
posted by zaixfeep at 9:36 PM on May 9

Can't load your file. Could you upload it to an actual website?
posted by dilaudid at 9:40 PM on May 9 [1 favorite]

MIME type might be wrong, I was able to wget it down to my mac. I don't recognize it though.
posted by b1tr0t at 9:43 PM on May 9 [1 favorite]

This sounded really oddly familiar to me and I couldn't put my finger on it. Like I'd actually heard it sometime in the last year.

I finally remembered -- it shows up on rapper/producer El-P's "Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamix!!!" mixtape as "Cheez-P". Obviously he's not the composer, and apparently other tracks on the mixtape aren't original either, so it's either a cover he made or the original recording.

There isn't a public copy of it on Youtube or anything, so here's a copy on my Dropbox. Shazam doesn't seem to know what it is, but that was using laptop speakers so it might be worth a shot still.

El-P is a Brooklyn native so maybe that's a clue? Or he's active on Twitter as @therealelp so you could just ask him.
posted by neckro23 at 10:02 PM on May 9 [4 favorites]

That's it, thanks, multi-decade itch scratched! Nice to hear the full track. Between this and the world's coolest gameshow theme Chump Change by Quincy Jones, my life is complete.
posted by zaixfeep at 10:26 PM on May 9

My file was served via Python SimpleHTTPServer module -quick and dirty and my cover of the song is truly cheezy by comparison..
posted by zaixfeep at 10:36 PM on May 9

El-P's dad is pianist Harry Keyes. Song could have been his. Threadsit end.
posted by zaixfeep at 10:57 PM on May 9

« Older Animal, vegetable, mineral?   |   Why wouldn't the medical marijuana doctor want to... Newer »