Gift ideas for post-surgery (hernia)

Close relative (late 50s) is having surgery for a hernia next week. I would like to do something thoughtful besides sending a card (which I plan on doing). I'm far away and it would be nice to surprise them, though. Any ideas?

Relative has a wife who will be taking care of him, but she works and could use a break under normal circumstances.

I was thinking maybe a Caviar delivery, but food options are limited so that's out. I could get a gift card to a restaurant and stick it in the card for them to go out when he's feeling better (he hasn't been able to eat normally for a while now) but was hoping to have some other options.

Flowers are out too, as they have a cat.

So is cleaning - they're old school and don't want a stranger in the house.

....Yes, I realize this is an impossible question.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance : )
posted by onecircleaday to Grab Bag (6 answers total)

What about a gift card to a nearby movie theater? It's such a physically undemanding activity that your relative can probably make use of it as soon as they feel up to leaving the house, and it's something they and their spouse can do together that doesn't ask too much of either of them.
posted by DSime at 2:59 PM on May 2 [1 favorite]

That's a great idea!! They never go to the movies, but I know they'd like to. I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thank you : )
posted by onecircleaday at 4:15 PM on May 2

Convalescing is boring - entertainment or hobby activities are fun. Sudoku, crossword or brain-teaser books, itunes gift card, novels or non-fiction, a starter hobby kit ...

Comfort items are also nice when recovering. Socks or slippers, nice tea, soft blanket sort of thing.
posted by bunderful at 6:34 PM on May 2

A gift basket of nice snacky foods they can eat without having to cook--cheeses and such. If you have a reasonably generous budget, Zingerman's is great for this, but there are lower-priced options.

A cozy bathrobe (if he doesn't already have a favorite) to go along with the blanket/slippers. He'll want a respectable robe for the hospital or recovery room, anyway.
posted by praemunire at 8:22 PM on May 2

Do thy know about podcasts? Set 'em up with some podcasts, or audio books, or youtube channels. (meMail me if you'd like recommendations).

Try this game and see if you think they might like it. First few levels are very easy... get harder.
posted by at at 10:42 PM on May 2

Maybe a short subscription or gift certificate to Audible?
posted by cross_impact at 10:51 AM on May 3

« Older I want to work in affordable and sustainable...   |   Gas 911! Put diesel in car...standing at pump... Newer »