short short shorts
April 25, 2018 2:09 PM   Subscribe

Seeking your favorite boy shorts (or other undergarments) for modesty coverage under short summer dresses!

I wear a lot of short, swingy dresses in the summer. Underneath, I prefer to wear something with a bit more coverage than regular bikini/thong underwear in case of wind gusts and getting caught atop subway grates at inopportune times.

My ideal undergarment 1) is reasonably invisible under a swingy dress (so can be loose but not bulky) 2) stays put - the waistband doesn't roll down constantly; the legs don't ride up all the time 3) comes in basic solid colors.

If you have something like this that you love, please share! and thank you!
posted by lalex to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (28 answers total) 27 users marked this as a favorite

A friend turned me on to men's boxers last year and it is a game changer.
posted by yes I said yes I will Yes at 2:18 PM on April 25, 2018 [7 favorites]

these things are the bomb and also protect against chub-rub/inner thigh sweaties. they are super light weight, dont roll and dont squeeze anywhere.
posted by supermedusa at 2:28 PM on April 25, 2018 [12 favorites]

I have occasionally seen them at costco for about 1/2 price YMMV
posted by supermedusa at 2:28 PM on April 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

I've been singing the praises of Target underwear (specifically, the Gilligan O'Malley brand) for years, and these are my go to for everything from swingy summer dresses that need coverage to even a little bit of 'pulling in' for a pooch under slim-fitting dresses. They're supremely comfortable, long-lasting, and come in a few different colors.
posted by Everydayville at 2:29 PM on April 25, 2018 [2 favorites]

Target also carries a Target-specific version of the Jockey skimmies. I wear them under all dresses now.
posted by jeoc at 2:32 PM on April 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

Modal shorts.
posted by tilde at 2:32 PM on April 25, 2018

I wear spandex bike shorts - pretty invisible, but won't look like underwear if a gust of wind hits.
posted by AppleTurnover at 2:40 PM on April 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

These are my preferred version; for whatever reason, the style/fabric combo seems to work better in the "staying put" arena than other similar things I have tried.
posted by Stacey at 3:07 PM on April 25, 2018

These Jockey Skimmies are basically my favorite clothing ever. They absolutely do not roll down and they're super comfortable -- not at all bulky. I get the long length, which are fine with dresses that end at the knee or a wee bit above. I buy them at Costco for some stupidly low price.
posted by holborne at 3:15 PM on April 25, 2018 [2 favorites]

(or, um, what supermedusa said above.)
posted by holborne at 3:16 PM on April 25, 2018 [1 favorite]

A friend turned me on to men's boxers last year and it is a game changer.

This is my jam, too. Old Navy are my favorites.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 3:26 PM on April 25, 2018

I really love are the TomboyX 9" boxer briefs. They stay put, breathe better than synthetic materials (which was an issue for me with Skimmies), are long enough to ride my bike in, and lay totally flat under dresses. Plus they look like regular shorts vs underwear/boxers, which I prefer. Kinda pricey but worth every penny IMO.
posted by stellaluna at 3:32 PM on April 25, 2018 [4 favorites]

Other options include Undersummers, or just wearing men's boxer briefs (if they're backwards, the crotch gusset expands for one's butt).
posted by linettasky at 4:13 PM on April 25, 2018 [2 favorites]

Seconding TomboyX. They are a boyshorts revelation.
posted by BrashTech at 4:35 PM on April 25, 2018

How short are we talking? I wear Comfort Choice women’s nylon boxers under dresses, but they only work for knee-length or longer. (Also don’t really come in smaller than the equivalent to US dress size 10, though their size numbering is different.) I get them on Amazon. They perform the function of a slip as well as of shorts, being made of nylon.
posted by snowmentality at 4:51 PM on April 25, 2018

Another vote for TomboyX - take your pick of boy shorts, 4.5", 6", or 9".
posted by pemberkins at 5:22 PM on April 25, 2018

Another vote for Jockey slip shorts! I've bought mine at Target.
posted by cp311 at 5:36 PM on April 25, 2018

I wear dresses and skirts constantly in spring/summer, and this idea has literally never occurred to me. I sprint down gusty subway escalators and just, like...cross my fingers, and forget about riding a bike.

Did everybody know about this but me? And it's comfy and doesn't look noticeable or anything?
posted by jameaterblues at 5:38 PM on April 25, 2018

Another rec for Jockey
posted by fluttering hellfire at 5:41 PM on April 25, 2018

Another vote for Jockey Skimmies.
posted by Autumnheart at 5:47 PM on April 25, 2018

Those who love the TomboyX - are they too thick? I always think of that style to be thick, like men's boxer briefs, versus the jockey skimmer type ones.
posted by Ms Vegetable at 6:05 PM on April 25, 2018

And it's comfy and doesn't look noticeable or anything?

Yep, and nope! No more notcicable than regular underpants. I only learned about the Jockeys a couple of years ago, and I swear I love them so much it’s kinda crazy.
posted by holborne at 9:38 PM on April 25, 2018

Just piggy backing on this, is there Jocky Skimmies that are shorter for skirts that are more mid-thigh?
posted by like_neon at 2:33 AM on April 26, 2018

Yep! They come in two lengths -- right around mid-thigh and right above the knee.

(Mods, I apologize if this is too much chatter in an Ask but I am a Skimmies groupie and I want everyone else to be too)
posted by holborne at 8:13 AM on April 26, 2018 [1 favorite]

TomboyX are a similar material to men's boxer briefs, but they seem to be more loosely woven and single-ply. They're as thin as women's cotton undies, if not a little thinner. Invisible under dresses and not bulky-feeling.
posted by stellaluna at 11:44 AM on April 27, 2018

The TomboyX micromodal fabric seems a bit thinner/lighter to me compared to the regular cotton; not enough that I feel any significant difference myself, but if thinness is a major selling point for you, I'd start with a pair of the micromodal and go from there.
posted by Stacey at 11:57 AM on April 27, 2018

i'm trans, amab, and i worry a lot about undergarments like this for wearing under dresses. i have found what i consider to be a game-changing hack: wearing booty shorts under my dresses.

you might not think much of it, but i never worry about bringing a bag or a purse anymore because booty shorts have pockets!!! i can keep my phone and my wallet and my keys in my pockets, hidden under my dress!!!

caveats where caveats are due: i predominately wear skater skirts/dresses, because i light tight tops with flared skirts, and this style might work better with booty shorts than other ones. ymmv!

as for what kind of booty shorts, i usually go for black denim ones with very short legs and not very much rise, because i don't like things riding up my waist. but obvi that's just me and my bod.

here's an example cut that i go for.

specific other qualities i look for:
* not distressed (they just fall apart)
* slightly stretchy (~2% elastane)
* despite thicker denim being "nicer", i usually find it too rigid -- i go for slightly thinner stretchy denim, which has a bonus of being way cheaper. like $10 a pair cheap.
posted by =d.b= at 4:56 PM on April 28, 2018 [1 favorite]

you might not think much of it, but i never worry about bringing a bag or a purse anymore because booty shorts have pockets!!! i can keep my phone and my wallet and my keys in my pockets, hidden under my dress!!!

Historical derail:

In the 18th century, women carried stuff in their paniers, and accessed them through gaps in the side seams of their shirts.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 10:14 PM on April 28, 2018

« Older Is there a place on the East Coast like the PNW?   |   Italian dinner party menu planning Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.