Help me find this stoic advice for depression

A while ago, I ran across an article about a Japanese (I think) man who approached depression from a sort of Stoic angle. The thing I remember was his focus on the outer world rather than the inner: his main question was something like "what has to be done?" or "what needs to happen?, meaning what things need to happen in your day, and focusing on the process of doing rather than on introspection. I know this is pretty vague. Any help is appreciated!
posted by sixswitch to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 35 users marked this as a favorite

I would think it would have been something related to Constructive Living by David Reynolds?. His whole premise is about acknowledging your feelings, identifying the next most constructive action, and doing that.
posted by neematoad at 10:43 AM on April 17, 2018 [2 favorites]

Stoicism and the Art of Happiness:
Seneca, for example, describes these as the respective virtues of 'foreseeing what has to be done', 'dispensing what has to be given', 'curbing fears' and 'checking desires'
(Letters 120, #11)
posted by WCityMike at 11:32 AM on April 17, 2018

Iā€™m pretty sure you are thinking of Shoma Morita. David K. Reynolds is generally considered to be a follower of Morita and has written popuar books about Morita therapy.
posted by sister nunchaku of love and mercy at 11:36 AM on April 17, 2018 [6 favorites]

Thanks everyone! It was indeed David Reynolds and Shoma Marita. Much appreciated.
posted by sixswitch at 11:43 AM on April 17, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Sixties and seventies children's fantasy and...   |   no not that kind of drum and bass Newer »