Rome. Traditional sports. Am I not entertained?

My wife and I will be spending a week in Rome in early May, and would like to attend a smallish-scale, local spectator sport. We aren’t sports fans, but we do enjoy the experience of being amid a community of enthusiasts, cheering on something we only vaguely understand. Scale-wise, maybe on the order of a single-A baseball game? Examples of previous wins: a high school rodeo on Molokai, course camarguaise bullfighting and joute nautique in France. So. Rome, May 2018… is there a regional tamburello championship? An obscure suburban palio? Intense bocce?

I know football is the absolute thing, and that the Italian Open will be going on, but that is not what I'm after here.

Alternately, if you are Rome-savvy, is there an events/entertainment calendar that you refer to for local happenings, sporting or otherwise? I’ve yet to find anything that seems like a go-to guide to smaller venues, neighborhood festivals and whatnot.
posted by mumkin to Travel & Transportation around Rome, Italy (1 answer total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Ludosport (lightsaber training/tournaments) originated in Italy and usually offer a free trial session!
posted by Iteki at 11:04 PM on April 17

« Older Testing for bee venom allergies before my honey...   |   France and mobile phone + data for travellers Newer »