Five Days with my Family in Flagstaff

My almost four-year-old and I will be flying out to meet the rest of my family in a big Airbnb in Flagstaff. And I've got no idea what we're going to do once we get there.

Some light hiking is okay, but as some members of my family aren't super mobile, we can't get too crazy. We stayed in Williams, AZ last year and visited the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

We like hanging out and chatting so it's okay if we spend a good bit of time just chilling at the house, but at least one activity (however small) each day would be great. Added challenge: A preschooler, three teenagers, some general adult-like people, and a person with an autoimmune disorder who gets warn out fairly quickly.
posted by missjenny to Travel & Transportation around Flagstaff, AZ (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

BEARIZONA!! It’s a drive-through wildlife park and it’s awesome!

Flagstaff is great - if your teenagers are into haunted stuff, there are some ghost tours. Sedona is close enough to do a day trip as well.
posted by honeybee413 at 8:46 PM on March 30, 2018

Seconding Bearizona. Also, Bedrock City, and there’s a ski area nearby that’s got nice views even if there’s no snow.
posted by OneSmartMonkey at 10:16 PM on March 30, 2018

Best answer: The weather has been mild this winter, and there’s been very little snow – but it’s been known to snow in May, so be prepared. I spend a lot of time in Flagstaff, so here are some recommendations for activities:
Visit NAU!
Lowell Observatory is great for all ages.
Walnut Canyon has a range of trails, some very easy.
Snowbowl has gorgeous views, and you can ride the lift to the top even if you’re not skiing – but it will be super cold at the top, so bundle up.
Meteor Crater is located about 40 miles east of Flagstaff.
First Friday Art Walk in downtown Flagstaff is a great evening event, but even if you’re not there on the first Friday, Flagstaff’s downtown often has free live entertainment and the shopping is fun. Be sure to visit the Crystal Store - and right next door is Firecreek Coffee, with Wednesday night poetry slam.
Sedona is just a short drive from Flagstaff, but take the whole day to leisurely drive down 89A into Oak Creek and Sedona. Stop at Indian Gardens Café & Market for coffee or apple cider. While some think it’s too touristy, I love to wander around the shops of Tlaquepaque.
The Arboretum at Flagstaff is simple and lovely but it doesn't open until April 15th.
Have a wonderful time!
posted by kbar1 at 10:30 PM on March 30, 2018 [4 favorites]

Sunset Crater and Wupatki Pueblo are easy to see without a lot of strenuous hiking. Just driving around the park is pretty amazing.
posted by jazzbaby at 5:51 AM on March 31, 2018

Whatever else you do, make sure you spend some of your visiting time chatting at Macy's and eat a date cupcake for me.
posted by WidgetAlley at 8:36 AM on March 31, 2018 [1 favorite]

Downtown Flagstaff is full of interesting restaurants, art galleries, little indie shops, coffee shops, etc. Maybe not too exciting for a four year old, but there’s probably stuff there that everyone else would like.
posted by MexicanYenta at 11:03 AM on March 31, 2018

« Older CISA lock being tampered with   |   What alternatives to traditional storytelling... Newer »