Roanoke VA for St. Patrick's Day

We booked a downtown hotel and are going to spend this weekend in Roanoke, mostly because we've been in VA 20 years and have never visited Roanoke. I know about the parade and street festival on Saturday. What are the can't miss pubs/bars and restaurants we should hit this weekend?
posted by COD to Travel & Transportation around Roanoke, VA (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I haven’t been to the Roanoke area in the past couple of years, but the Blue Apron Restaurant and Red Rooster Bar in nearby Salem has been absolutely spectacular in several visits over the years.

Cuban Island restaurant in the Roanoke suburbs has wonderfully delicious plates, and the owner is always there and very friendly.

Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea is a small local chain with a location downtown. It’s a Roanoke institution with solid coffee, really nice sandwiches and salads, and a great atmosphere.

Macado’s (“mock-a-doo’s”) is a regional chain with a location downtown. Some locations (Lynchburg) are duds; Roanoke is a good one. The decor is chockablock with bizarre antiques, like a circus train crashed into a Cracker Barrel. They have a ridiculous selection of dinner-worthy sandwiches plus wings and ice cream sundaes and such, but it’s also a really excellent place to drink beer—not because their selection is exceptional, but just because it’s the right place to hold down a booth with a few reasonably priced fishbowl-sized schooner glasses and watch sports or just hang out for a few hours.

While you’re there, check out the Taubman art museum and, if you’re interested in railroad history, the Virginia Transportation Museum and O. Winston Link museum.
posted by musicinmybrain at 5:57 AM on March 15, 2018

Seconding the above. Also: go to the Texas Tavern and eat a Cheesy Western. If you have time and want to drive a little out of town for an excellent meal, The Palisades in Eggleston VA.
posted by a halcyon day at 9:38 AM on March 15, 2018

Roanoke’s my hometown. Definitely go to Texas Tavern. Also Lucky Restaurant, on Kirk Ave, which has the added benefit of being sandwiched between some cool shit to see and do. Get up early and go to the farmer’s market downtown, and the Taubman art museum, and the kids exhibits at the science museum, and the free trolley that’ll zip you around downtown and the hospital. And Wildflour, jesus christ, hie thee to wildflour and if they have the hummingbird cake DEFINITELY GET THAT, and if you can find a coffee place selling red rooster coffee out of floyd DEFINITELY GET SOME

OH WAIT DO YOU HAVE TIME TO GO TO FLOYD?! GO TO FLOYD.

NO WAIT STAY IN TOWN AND GO TO GRANDIN COURT AND GO TO POP’S ICE CREAM AND GET A GRILLED CHEESE. AND THEN GO TO A MOVIE AT THE GRANDIN AND SNEAK IN SNACKS FROM THE CO-OP ACROSS THE STREET

and okay i’ve made myself so homesick i’m tearing up. HAVE A LOT OF FUN. it’s an awesome little city.
posted by floweringjudas at 1:57 PM on March 15, 2018 [3 favorites]

The Blue 5 is my personal favorite restaurant anywhere in SW VA. My cousin and his wife started it, then sold it a couple years ago to the current owners. They have live music on weekends, so you'll need a reservation.

You might also enjoy Salem Ice Cream Parlor - it's what it says on the tin. The atmosphere rocks and the ice cream rules.

Should you be in a hot dog mood at some point during your stay, Sam's Hot Dogs in Salem has the best dogs I've ever eaten. I don't like hot dogs as a rule, but I'll go out of my way to go to Sam's when I'm home.

Man, am I jealous you'll be there this weekend. I haven't been back since October, and I miss the hell out of my grandmother.
posted by The Almighty Mommy Goddess at 8:58 PM on March 15, 2018

Blue 5 looks really great - just made reservations for tomorrow dinner. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now if the weather will just cooperate...
posted by COD at 12:53 PM on March 16, 2018

« Older Tips for the Hay Festival   |   Best way to fix vintage chair leg? Newer »