Quiet place in DTLA between 10-12 on a Friday night?
February 28, 2018 10:11 AM   Subscribe

I have two hours to kill in downtown LA, alone, from ten to midnight on a Friday night. Where can an introvert go for a quiet-ish drink or dinner where I can sit with my book/phone without being disturbed or out of place?

I'll be at the Ace Hotel before and after, so something nearby (or one of their venues) would be ideal. Nothing crowded/rowdy or super fancy-- just somewhere where I can just unobtrusively chill.
posted by acidic to Travel & Transportation around Los Angeles, CA (6 answers total)

Well The Last Bookstore closes at 11, so you could go there for an hour.
posted by BlahLaLa at 11:06 AM on February 28, 2018 [2 favorites]

That’s a bit of an awkward time, as most things open that late are noisy and the DTLA places I would recommend (Central Library, Cognoscenti Coffee, Last Bookstore) close by then. And Friday nights = noise.

One thought is older hotel lobbies like the Biltmore over by Pershing Square. The Ace itself might have a chill spot.

Actually, a good next step is to see if the Ace has a concierge. They’d hook you right up.
posted by Celsius1414 at 11:10 AM on February 28, 2018 [2 favorites]

I went to Garçons de Café, a wine bar, for the first time a couple Fridays ago after dinner with my wife in DTLA. It had a decent amount of seating, the patrons were quiet, and the wine selection was solid. I saw a couple people working on their laptops too. Music was chill and not too loud. On Friday's it's open until 1am.
posted by miltthetank at 12:03 PM on February 28, 2018

There's always the Pacific Dining Car.
posted by ApathyGirl at 12:14 PM on February 28, 2018

There's a mezzanine at the Ace which is listed on their site as a "public space" : "The Mezzanine's the place to meet friends, make eyes at a stranger or work on your novel."
posted by GuyZero at 3:55 PM on February 28, 2018

Biltmore Hotel has a nice relatively quiet old-fashioned lounge.
posted by ovvl at 1:57 PM on March 1, 2018

« Older Help coping with new autoimmune issues   |   Gluten free, easily transportable, delicious Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.