CookFilter: Turkey legs. Difficulty: Forgot to brine.

I forgot to brine my turkey legs, and I really want to make them for dinner. I forgot to dry-brine them with salt and butter like I usually do. Do I need to brine them tonight (i.e. wait another day), or is there a way to make them crispy, tender and delicious for tonight? Assume I have an oven, a grill and a lot of motivation.
posted by onecircleaday to Food & Drink (2 answers total)

How are you cooking them? I'd pat them very dry with paper towels. Then, if you're baking, I'd what Cook's Illustrated calls a "reverse sear": get them up to temp by baking at the normal temperature, then put them under the broiler for a few minutes to get the skin nice and crispy.

Alternatively, put some butter in a frying pan, and fry the skin at a high heat, then bake them like normal.

You'll get crispy skin with high heat, it just won't be as fantastically crispy as a dry-brined bird would be.
posted by dis_integration at 5:34 PM on February 27, 2018

wrap with bacon and bake uncovered.
posted by cda at 8:10 PM on February 27, 2018

« Older Where can I find a business case study of College...   |   Do I continue to see therapist who has cancelled... Newer »