Konsentriko = concentric?

Filipino speakers: is the word konsentriko fully equivalent to the English word concentric? If I were referring to the curved lines of rice fields as concentric, would I use the word konsentriko? I'm deciding whether to use this word as the title of a work of art, so I also want to make sure it has the same meaning if it stands alone as a single word.
posted by kalapierson to Writing & Language (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If I were referring to the curved lines of rice fields as concentric, would I use the word konsentriko?

You shouldn't use the word 'concentric' for the lines in that photo. Concentric means "having a shared center" - con=shared, centric=center.
posted by showbiz_liz at 7:31 AM on February 27, 2018 [5 favorites]

Rice paddy lines are frequently described as concentric even when an actual center circle isn't visible, because of how strongly their arrangement implies that center.

Any Filipino speakers able to comment on the word?
posted by kalapierson at 10:59 AM on February 27, 2018

« Older Cardboard construction plans   |   Show me to the fun yet tasteful shirts please Newer »