In-cider Information

I somehow have 12 gallons of commercial pasteurized apple cider that has been sitting on my porch since December 5 in sealed plastic jugs. Ingredients are assorted apples and malic acid. Temperatures have been between 70 and below zero for at least a day in that time. Frozen and thawed several times. Help me figure out what to do with it.

Can I make vinegar from this? Do I need to add yeast since it's pasteurized? Any pointers to recipes would help, most of the stuff I'm finding starts with whole apples or raw juice. I love ACV in stuff although admittedly that's a lot of it.

It actually tastes ok maybe not as sweet when I first opened it. Doesn't seem fermented. So I'm think of just drinking some of it even it's past it's enjoy by date.

Should I take it inside? Or is ok to store it in our large unheated garage? We don't have a way to refrigerate it. It's above 60 in Pittsburgh today.

Also does anyone know if I can use ACV on my very brightly colored double processed hair without stripping the color. I'm doubtful enough not even to want to experiment unless someone has tried. I do know vinegar is a dye fixer though.
posted by DarthDuckie to Food & Drink (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You could ferment it into hard cider. Use a very neutral ale yeast, and avoid champagne yeast as it would make a very dry product. Your local homebrew store should be able to give you some guidance. There are also plenty of resources online.

I don't have much experience making vinegar, but it's my understanding that you would need to ferment it first (with something like a brewers yeast), then inoculate it with a vinegar mother, which converts the alcohol into acetic acid.

Since it appears that there isn't any preservatives in your fresh cider, you will need to keep it as cold as possible. Even though it's pasteurized, something will find it's way in there and start a wild fermentation.
posted by slogger at 10:33 AM on February 26, 2018

Are you in a place that may get a hard freeze in March? If so, if consider wild fermenting a few gallons and making applejack, the boozy old-timey treat!
Alternately, if you can make room in your freezer, you could use that.
posted by SaltySalticid at 11:17 AM on February 26, 2018 [1 favorite]

Commercial apple cider can be very difficult/impossible to ferment if they have preservatives like Potassium Sorbate in them.
posted by Dmenet at 11:28 AM on February 26, 2018 [1 favorite]

When you say frozen/thawed - do you mean _completely_? Even on our really warm days I'd be curious if it still didn't retain a bit of a frozen core? (Is that me being a crazy optimist?) If that isn't misplaced optimism, you should be ok...

Quickest way to get rid of a lot of cider at once - brining. We've used it to brine turkey (before going into a smoker) and it's crazy delicious.
posted by librarianamy at 11:44 AM on February 26, 2018 [1 favorite]

It's definitely fermented a little by now in those conditions. I'd just keep going to the hard cider or vinegar categories. Here's info on making cider vinegar. If it comes out well, it might make a nice gift for holidays.

If it's still sweet enough, you could reduce it to make cider syrup, an old-timey New England thing that's crazy delicious and good for use as a syrup, a glaze on meats, a splash to add to your selzter, etc. Cider syrup instructions.
posted by Miko at 12:24 PM on February 26, 2018

If it tastes good, make boiled cider (basically apple syrup) with some of it. A gallon reduces to 2.5 cups. While the recipe states preservative-free I don't see why that would matter.
posted by O9scar at 1:02 PM on February 26, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Who Is This Masked Musician?   |   An inCREDOble offer? Newer »