New Orleans breakfast/brunch convenient to I-10

I'm flying into New Orleans Monday night, and need to leave town by about 10:00 a.m. the next morning to drive to Gulf Port, Mississippi. Staying at an airport hotel. Where should I stop for an interesting breakfast brunch for one?

I like most any kind of food, but won't have time for anything fancy or long wait times. Bonus question: should I do any walking around in the city when I arrive at 11pm or so? If so, where?
posted by skewed to Travel & Transportation around New Orleans, LA (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Ruby Slipper on Canal. It's worth getting there early for breakfast, then walking around the French Quarter and along the river for an hour or so before you have to leave.

There is not much near the airport. I would not walk around downtown at 11 PM on a Monday night, either.
posted by aquamvidam at 3:52 PM on February 18, 2018

I can vouch for Surrey’s, they have a great menu, and I came back for early breakfast twice when I was in town for a conference. Drive through the French Quarter if you have some energy, but it’s much more productive & visual in the morning. The market will be setting up and you can get in a nice walk. It’s up to you to decide what makes sense.
posted by childofTethys at 4:40 PM on February 18, 2018 [1 favorite]

Willa Jean was pretty good - we were there for dinner, not lunch, but it seemed like a place you could get in and out of pretty quickly (especially after 8 am). It's east of the airport, so would seem to be roughly on your way.
posted by randomkeystrike at 7:07 PM on February 18, 2018

I'd go with satsuma or toast.
posted by umbú at 7:58 PM on February 18, 2018

I would absolutely walk around the Quarter at 11 PM any night of the year. There will always be something interesting to see.

My suggestion would be to take exit 232 off of I-10 E and go to Gracious Bakery. They'll be open early enough to suit your needs, they have incredible pastries both savory and sweet, there's never a wait for seating, and there's even a BYO breakfast sandwich menu along with some other traditional dishes like french toast. Right now the manchego & chorizo savory brioche is my favorite but I literally have never had anything from there that was anything short of delicious. The owner, Megan Forman, was the pastry chef at both Bayona and Sucre and has serious chops.

When my yankee foodie friends from NYC come to town we end up eating at Gracious at least one morning of their trip, if not two, or sometimes three.
posted by komara at 9:46 PM on February 18, 2018

Interesting and near the airport is Franny's Place, 2619 Williams Blvd in Kenner. It's just a regular diner but one whole wall is a huge cockatiel cage. They're fun to watch. Cash only.
posted by CheeseLouise at 6:06 AM on February 19, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older Should I be worried about bipolar disorder?   |   How Not To Swim With Alligators Newer »