Pattern ID, on Japanese Ceramic bowls?
February 12, 2018 10:52 AM   Subscribe

Does the bamboo pattern on these bowls have a name? They're probably Japanese.
posted by Rash to Grab Bag (4 answers total)
Hmmm. Here are the same bowls on Etsy, though it doesn't give a name to the pattern there.
posted by bologna on wry at 11:56 AM on February 12, 2018

I have a mug with this same pattern. It is also unmarked, but I do know that it dates from at least the early 1980s.
posted by bunji at 11:59 AM on February 12, 2018

Here is a matching sake bottle, and here is a tea set with the importer's sticker still in place on the bottom. Miya doesn't seem to carry the pattern currently, however.

Here is a small pitcher with a similar pattern but a different finish, and here is a set showing the maker's mark. A variant of the pattern is being sold as a tissue transfer for transferware here.

I don't have an answer, but perhaps one of these might help you with new keywords to search for.
posted by DSime at 2:12 PM on February 12, 2018

That type of cobalt blue paint on white ceramic is called "blue and white pottery" (sometsuke 染付 in Japanese and qīnghuā 青花 in Chinese). Bamboo is 竹 (take in Japanese or zhú in Chinese. Plugging both of those terms into a search engine will get you similar patterns. There is no specific name for this pattern that I know of; bamboo is more of a common motif than an actual named pattern in Chinese and Japanese ceramics.
posted by satoshi at 8:04 PM on February 12, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older Let's talk about doggie dementia.   |   i don't want to bring my own lemon Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.