Name that Yiddish name.

I have been told orally about a Yiddish speaking woman, born in the mid-1800s in what is now Rumania, whose first name was something like Sluve.

The spelling I have here is definitely not definite.

The final e is not silent, but is unstressed. The name might even be spelled Sluveh.
The U is a soft U that sounds approximately like the vowel sound in the word "look."Or the u in "rugelach." (Which she probably baked.)

Do you know what this name is, and whether it's a full name or a diminutive of another name? (The final unstressed "e" sound is the only reason I think it might be a diminutive.)
posted by flourpot to Writing & Language (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

"סלובה" does get some google hits as a first name. From the consonants I wondered if it might be related to Slavic "Solovej" (Nightingale) because vowel changes sometimes work that way (golova/głowa) but it's a shot in the dark.
posted by Smearcase at 11:17 AM on February 9, 2018

(Romanian is not Slavic, I am aware, but a Yiddish name in the Pale of Settlement might have had root in a number of languages, I think.)
posted by Smearcase at 11:18 AM on February 9, 2018

Could it be some form of Shulamit or maybe even Sylvie?
posted by mareli at 12:23 PM on February 9, 2018 [1 favorite]

If you search ancestry.com, Sluve seems like a pretty common first name with a lot of 19th century eastern European Jewish hits. So it seems like there's no good reason to second guess.

https://www.ancestry.com/search/?name=sluve
posted by Kriesa at 12:42 PM on February 9, 2018 [1 favorite]

Bear in mind that Polish /u/ = Lithuanian /ɔ/ (vus = vɔs) and Lithuanian /u/ = Polish /i/ (kugel = kigel); see Wikipedia for details.
posted by languagehat at 1:19 PM on February 9, 2018 [1 favorite]

Maybe a slightly different pronunciation of Slava or Sława?
posted by pseudostrabismus at 5:06 PM on February 9, 2018

Luba?
posted by brujita at 10:11 PM on February 9, 2018

« Older Adjustable bed experiences and recommendations   |   Seduction via book recommendations? Newer »