Stop reminding me already!
February 9, 2018 4:28 AM   Subscribe

Besides the official Google Calendar email notification, I get multiple notifications of the same event from some unknown entity. I feel like this was the result of some add-on I used to have, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. How do I get rid of it?

The reminders look like this:

SUBJECT: Either (No Subject) or Alert - Event Name(weirdly the same email gets a different subject line depending on what app I'm using to view it)

CONTENTS:
DD MONTH YYYY : Event Name

-::~:~::~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~::~:~::-
Please do not edit this section of the description.

This event has a Google Hangouts video call.
Join: [the automatic URL Google Calendar makes for each event]
-::~:~::~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~::~:~::-
They spam my inbox and get really annoying to deal with. Looking at the headers tells me nothing except it's coming from my LAN maybe?

It's a Google-based address with a custom domain. The separator text seems distinctive but Googling it does nothing.
posted by divabat to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

This might help? Looks like an application called "busymac" is the culprit.
busymac

FAQ

Google Hangouts video call links appear in notes field

All events on Google Calendar that have a Google Hangouts video call associated with them will display the following text appended to the notes field:

-::~:~::~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~::~:
Please do not edit this section of the description.

This event has a Google Hangouts video call.
Join: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz?hs=121
You cannot remove this text from the notes field if an event contains a Google Hangouts video call link. However, you can prevent Google from automatically adding video call links to each new event by logging into Google Calendar in your web browser and selecting:

Google Calendar > Settings > Automatically add video calls to events I create > No
If you are a G Suite user, there is a similar setting that your Administrator can configure, as described here.

posted by Salvor Hardin at 5:03 AM on February 9, 2018

...unless busymac used to be something else, I have never seen it in my life. It looks like the right app though!
posted by divabat at 9:46 AM on February 9, 2018

Can you be more specific about the sender domain? It's really hard to know based on the subject and contents.
posted by Aleyn at 2:14 AM on February 10, 2018

« Older Photoshop lite... does such a thing exist?   |   Denver Restaurant Recommendations Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.