My iPhone doesn't have MDM anymore, why does it say it's supervised?

A while ago I got an iPhone through a previous job and paid for an upgrade to a 6s. Apparently since I paid for the upgrade it's mine, and they let me keep it when I left that company. When I was with the company it had a MDM profile installed. When I left they didn't remove the MDM so I did a factory reset. But in Settings it still says "this iPhone is supervised and managed by ." Can I get rid of that message?

All the tutorials say go to Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Device Management . I don't have the "Device Management" setting on that screen, so it's a dead end.
posted by Tehhund to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Do you have Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Profile?
posted by Winnie the Proust at 9:41 AM on February 7, 2018

I once bought a refurbished iPad off of eBay that had the same issue. It was permanently registered to a retail store. I was never able to remove the MDM. I had to return the iPad to the seller.

Maybe you can contact your old employer and see if they can remove it.
posted by akk2014 at 9:45 AM on February 7, 2018 [1 favorite]

Nope.
posted by Tehhund at 10:11 AM on February 7, 2018

When you say you did a factory reset, was that just the phone-based data reset or did you try the iTunes method? The latter should install a totally fresh copy of the OS.
posted by odinsdream at 10:59 AM on February 7, 2018 [1 favorite]

I did the phone-based method. Thanks for the tip, I will try the iTunes method!
posted by Tehhund at 12:32 PM on February 7, 2018

Sadly, the iTunes method + "set up as a new phone" didn't fix the issue, but thanks for the suggestion.
posted by Tehhund at 4:54 PM on February 7, 2018

You might need to contact Apple Support. Or, if you left on good terms, ask your old company's IT department to have the lock removed.
posted by nalyd at 6:00 PM on February 7, 2018

A factory reset won't fix it. And Apple support won't help you at all, because those locked devices are often ones that were originally stolen and then re-sold (I realize you didn't steal it).
posted by akk2014 at 10:00 AM on February 8, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older In desperate need of a relaxing week at the beach   |   Need advice for helping 14 year old with drug... Newer »