What tool does this graphic represent?
February 5, 2018 12:00 PM   Subscribe

This shop fascia features a series of common tools (and a lightning bolt). What is the item in the centre?
posted by lucidium to Grab Bag (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
It looks like an old fashioned clamp but the handle is confusing. It may not be a handle though because it disappears into the border.
posted by shesbenevolent at 12:05 PM on February 5, 2018

It looks like a bad rendering of a mechanical hand drill?
posted by furnace.heart at 12:06 PM on February 5, 2018

If it's a hand drill, I think it's this type. But I don't think so. I also don't think it's a micrometer or a clamp. But those were the first things I though of.
posted by Too-Ticky at 12:13 PM on February 5, 2018

The bottom part that looks like a handle definitely stops there. The sign was set back a bit from the black shutter box, but it's not hiding anything extra, I just took the photo at an unfortunate angle in my confusion.
posted by lucidium at 12:21 PM on February 5, 2018

Could it be a drain trap (such as you find under the sink)? Do they do plumbing stuff there as well?
posted by Grither at 12:23 PM on February 5, 2018 [1 favorite]

It immediately looked like a micrometer to me. But of course it doesn't look like the parts line up properly.

If I were just looking at this sign walking down the street, without being asked to think about it, I would just think "micrometer" and move on.

This one looks close, but...
posted by The Deej at 12:29 PM on February 5, 2018

It could indeed be intended as a drain trap, it looks like a weird conflation of this type and this type .
posted by Too-Ticky at 12:34 PM on February 5, 2018 [1 favorite]

It looks like the second icon on the top in this set -- a drain trap, as others have suggested.
posted by rollick at 12:58 PM on February 5, 2018 [1 favorite]

This icon set has an even closer resemblance to the one on the storefront.
posted by rollick at 1:02 PM on February 5, 2018 [2 favorites]

Genius, I never would have thought of that.
posted by lucidium at 1:05 PM on February 5, 2018

It reminds me of an early wooden drill as suggested by furnace.heart and Too-Ticky.
Here is an image from TSC. The part that puzzles me is the piece on the bottom. That could be a hand holding the center of the drill?

The saw, wrench and hammer could be "old", but the power tool next to the saw looks like a modern cordless drill.
posted by tronec at 2:38 PM on February 5, 2018

Upon further review. . .
Searching icon sets as suggested by rollick shows many that are slightly more detailed including this one. This shows lines where the threaded nuts on a p-trap would be.

Your storefront icon seems to be a very simplified version of a drain trap representative of "plumbing" parts in general.
posted by tronec at 3:22 PM on February 5, 2018

« Older Looking for a large image of Marsha P Johnson   |   How much safer are newer cars? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.