Anchored down in Anchorage

I had a simple desire. I wanted to listen to Michelle Shocked singing Anchored down In Anchorage. But it seems to have been erased from the easily findable Internet. WHY?

I hooked up my old hard drive and found the 'short, sharped, shocked' album. And of the ten songs, 9 of them have a graphic of the front cover and one track looks boring and alone and has no graphic. Lo and behold it's 'Anchored down in Anchorage'

Tell me mefi, it's been a while. It used to be easy for me to hear this song on an internet impulse, when and why did it get so hard?
posted by roolya_boolya to Society & Culture (14 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I love that song, too. A lot.

Michelle Shocked went on an unhinged, homo-phobic rant on stage a few years back, and got her tour cancelled. I believe she's been out of the public eye since then.
posted by bonheur at 7:05 PM on January 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

Thank you for asking this question - I had the same desire for Anchorage last week, couldn't find it on any of the usual streaming services. Ending up having to dig out the physical CD out of the storage closet and insert it into the drive like some sort of pre-internet savage.
posted by Mary Ellen Carter at 7:09 PM on January 29, 2018 [5 favorites]

“Shocked intensely believes that digital-song services are why recording careers now go largely unpaid.” From here.
posted by chesty_a_arthur at 7:10 PM on January 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

I found it on Vimeo about two months ago. Does this link work for you? I'm in a quiet place and can't test it.
posted by salvia at 7:29 PM on January 29, 2018

I know you asked why and not how and why looks handled very well, but for anyone needing to scratch this itch (I know I needed to) here it is live on Letterman.
posted by vers at 7:45 PM on January 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

Damn, that's a pity. I always thought she was quite leftist?

I love that song. It's just about perfect. "...the last time I saw you/was on me and Leroy's wedding day/What was the name of that love song you played?/I forgot how it goes/I don't recall how it goes..."
posted by praemunire at 8:20 PM on January 29, 2018

The best part of that Letterman clip might be Neil DeGrasse Tyson playing bass. Sorry I don't have an actual answer, but I do love that song too.
posted by OHenryPacey at 8:55 PM on January 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

Here's a better vimeo link. I just tested it and it works for me.
posted by salvia at 9:03 PM on January 29, 2018

> I always thought she was quite leftist?

Unfortunately, that's never saved anyone from homophobia, sexism, etc. not to mention just garden-variety WTF??! Previously on metafilter.

FWIW, I also recall reading something sometime about her anti-streaming stance, so that likely explains her absence from streaming music services.
posted by rtha at 9:26 PM on January 29, 2018 [2 favorites]

Michelle Shocked went on an unhinged, homo-phobic rant on stage a few years back
Her homophobia started much earlier than that. I remember her walking out of a national live radio interview in the 1980s when the interviewer (Angela Catterns on JJJ), made a comment that Shocked was quite popular amongst Australian lesbian listeners.

I've seen Shocked about half a dozen times on two continents, the last time in Seattle in the 2000s when she first announced her pregnancy. Her first album was one of those albums where I heard the first riff of the first song and knew I had to buy it. If the same situation happened today - great music by a homophobe - I would probably pass on it.

But, of course now I have to listen to the vimeo linked above.
posted by Thella at 9:28 PM on January 29, 2018 [2 favorites]

About 3 years ago, I had this same problem and made the same discovery about Shocked. I made the mistake of tweeting about it...she found the tweet (although I did not @ her), and replied with a rude gif.
posted by 8k at 12:33 AM on January 30, 2018 [2 favorites]

Great album. I had the same issue in searching for "The L&N Don't Stop Here Any More". I found several other beautiful versions but they aren't quite the same.

Given her androgynous presentation and mostly left-ish politics, her homophobic political views are all the more surprising.
posted by theorique at 3:08 AM on January 30, 2018

chesty_a_arthur has the answer to the actual question of "why can't I easily find this song on the internet?" Read the linked article - Shocked strongly objects to having her material available for free on the internet and actively works to get it removed from YouTube or wherever.

That's the "why", the "when" is probably unanswerable as getting things removed from the "free" internet can be a game of whack-a-mole; for all we know "Anchorage" was on YouTube until 2 days ago, the Vimeo link might disappear next Tuesday, and someone might repost a download link on a blog in July.

She seems to be ok with the legit streaming services - she's got a bunch of albums on iTunes and Spotify.
posted by soundguy99 at 6:23 AM on January 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

She actually has nothing on Spotify as far as I can tell.

I had this same thing happen sometime in the last year. I was lucky enough to stumble onto Texas Campfire Tapes on vinyl last month, but wish I could find Short, Sharp, Shocked.

She does seem nuts in an unpleasant way but I love some of the songs so much. Oh well, I listen to Wagner so I guess I can manage Shocked.
posted by Smearcase at 1:47 PM on January 30, 2018

« Older Returning borrowed item to estranged person   |   Recommendations for size 15 winter hiking boots Newer »