Estimated salaries on job search websites

Most job search websites (e.g., Indeed, Simply Hired, Glassdoor) provide estimated salaries for positions that do not state their pay ranges. I found one position at my level in my company and the estimated salary was high (the estimated upper range is outside the internally published range). Without knowing what the hired folks were paid, it's impossible to judge their accuracy but has anyone published an analysis on the estimates?
posted by bluesapphires to Work & Money (1 answer total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Data on job search websites is self-reported. Self-reported data is, by definition, unreliable. So unreliable, in fact, that people who do bona fide compensation studies won't even permit self-reporting of data.

Even if you were to find an analysis on the estimates (which you probably won't) it would be no more reliable than the estimates themselves.

Sorry.
posted by John Borrowman at 4:00 PM on January 12

« Older When thank you isn't enough?   |   Hypothetically, how do we handle real arguments... Newer »