What on earth do I do with a 0.3 quart Dutch oven?

One of the presents I received this year was a cast iron Dutch oven from Chasseur. It's 0.3 quarts, pre-seasoned, and very small. What can I do with it?

It's a beautiful little thing and while I'm happy to use it as a serving dish, that seems like a waste for something this heavily constructed. Can anyone recommend recipes or other uses that could make proper use of it, whether in the oven or on the stove?
posted by ZaphodB to Food & Drink (22 answers total)
Making single serving lasagna or eggplant parmagiana.
posted by If only I had a penguin... at 12:20 PM on January 11

French Onion Soup?
posted by papayaninja at 12:25 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

I have one and I have used it for half of this upside down cake recipe.
posted by vunder at 12:33 PM on January 11

Baked Gouda.
posted by gyusan at 12:44 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

Hot dips at parties: crab, artichoke, spinach; those sorts of things.
posted by Sunburnt at 12:55 PM on January 11 [11 favorites]

I have a small set of Le Creuset cocottes that are similar though a bit smaller and we use it for making individual serving fruit crisps and quiches (really, souffles).

you can find other cocotte recipes on Staub's and Le Creuset's websites.
posted by bl1nk at 12:57 PM on January 11 [2 favorites]

Just the right size to bake up a quick little single-serve fruit crumble or the like for an indulgence after dinner.
posted by DSime at 1:07 PM on January 11

Baked brie!
posted by functionequalsform at 1:26 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

I would be very unlikely to run the oven for a single serving of pretty much anything. Can it be exchanged for something that would get more use?
posted by theora55 at 2:37 PM on January 11 [2 favorites]

Chile con queso.
A single cornbread muffin, for you and no one else.
posted by Huffy Puffy at 2:46 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

I would be very unlikely to run the oven for a single serving of pretty much anything.

I agree, and the way I learned to use a Dutch oven was you fill a hole with charcoal or other embers, prepare the cobbler or whatever and load up the oven, then set it on top of the embers, placing some more burning coals on the lid. Come back later and voila! Way too much work for 0.3 quarts of anything, that sounds to me more like a model or a toy of some kind. Is it made of cast iron, or aluminum, or maybe neither?
posted by Rash at 3:21 PM on January 11

You've got yourself a cocotte, en which things can be cooked, if that helps with googling.
posted by ftm at 3:39 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

This is a very awkward size for a cooking pot, but if you want to keep it, it would excel at tasks that need a slow and steady heat. The heavier the gauge of the pot, the fewer hot spots, the less scorching, and the better it will do at melting or sauteing delicate items. Like melting butter, sweating garlic or shallots and the like. Something you might now do in a double boiler can be melted in a pot if the heat is low and the pot is heavy. Such a heavy pot will also hold its heat for a time if you transfer it to the table, perhaps with melted butter to go with boiled lobster.

Maybe melting chocolate low and slow for dipping chunks of orange or pineapple or pound cake for a fun do-it-yourself fondue? Sounds perfect!
posted by citygirl at 3:40 PM on January 11

My boyfriend just bought a Korean stone pot and realized it's effectively a tiny little Dutch oven. We've been looking for Dutch oven recipes that might scale down, you could go the other way and try tofu stew!
posted by yeahlikethat at 3:46 PM on January 11

omg it's precious

My first thought was for melted butter at the table for artichokes or lobster. My second thought was queso dip. In the same vein of things people probably shouldn't eat too much of, it'd make a banging small potato gratin.
posted by Mizu at 5:53 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

I keep finishing salt in mind.
posted by daneflute at 6:13 PM on January 11

Mine not mine
posted by daneflute at 6:23 PM on January 11

You could also use it to keep a small serving of something cold / frozen, by popping it into the fridge or freezer.
posted by destrius at 10:26 PM on January 11

If you don't want to run the oven and you live in a cold space, use it as a bowl for soup, but preheat it with boiling water beforehand. Your soup will stay hot longer.
posted by batter_my_heart at 10:44 PM on January 11 [1 favorite]

I believe you have a tchotchke.
posted by bendy at 9:42 PM on January 12

It's a little less silly for single serving oven things if you have a toaster-oven.
posted by snuffleupagus at 6:42 AM on January 15

« Older Cat in neighbour's apartment (UKfilter)   |   Foreign Language - Gendered articles when noun not... Newer »