Where to stay on the Oaxaca coast

My partner and I (late 30s/early 40s M-F couple from the U.S., no kids) will be heading to the coast of Oaxaca, Mexico in March and we're looking for a place to stay near or on the beach. We're interested in all suggestions at all price points. Thanks!
posted by DavidNYC to Travel & Transportation around Mexico (4 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

There are two main tourist towns on the coast of Oaxaca- Huatulco and Puerto Escondido. Both have airports. If you want resort-y type hotels and such, try Huatulco. Further up the coast is Puerto Escondido. I don't know a whole lot about Huatulco, but in Puerto there are numerous small hotels, hostels and vacation houses available that are very close to the many beaches. Playa Zicatela is on the Mexican pipeline and is a mecca for surfers. There are quieter beaches all within walking distance or short taxi ride from the center of the touristic area too. It all depends on what type of experience you want to have. Also, in between the two towns are smaller, quieter towns with beaches and a more bohemian vibe if that's something you are interested in. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some specific suggestions.
posted by Captain Sunshine at 5:13 PM on January 11, 2018

Mazunte! Stay at THIS PLACE! Food is amazing, town is small and chill, beach is beautiful, and there is a turtle sanctuary. And seriously the food!!!! I spent a week laying on the beach, drinking michaladas and eating tuna ceviche. Best week ever.
posted by KMoney at 5:23 PM on January 11, 2018 [1 favorite]

I adore Quinta Lili in Puerto Escondido. It's a small hotel (6 rooms) with a little pool and a lovely outdoor eating/sitting area. If it's full they have a sister hotel too. The owners are so hospitable and they serve delicious breakfasts every morning. When I was there, the other guests were friendly but it wasn't a party scene. It's a 5-10 minute walk to two lovely, swimmable beaches with little palapa restaurants where, for the price of lunch or a beer, you can hang out all day on a sunbed or at a table, reading, chatting, swimming, etc. 5 minute walk in the other direction to a sleepy strip with some nice restaurants for dinner, or a 10 minute cab ride to the downtown or Zicatela area for nightlife.

The only drawback with Quinta Lili is that there's no A/C. I recommend getting one of the 2nd or 3rd floor rooms so you can leave the windows open at night and get the ocean breeze. Rooms are US$50-100/night.

There are a lot of fun things to do in the area but I mostly just hung out on the beach!
posted by lunasol at 5:52 PM on January 11, 2018

Specifically, when I was in PE, my daily routine was: breakfast at Quinta Lili, head to the beach, lunch/reading/swimming/lounging at the beach all afternoon, walk back to Quinta, take a quick swim, nap, head out to dinner (usually with another guest), go to bed to the sound of waves crashing. It was lovely.
posted by lunasol at 5:55 PM on January 11, 2018

« Older Yoga Classes with Non-Yoga Music   |   Exercises to build openness to vulnerability Newer »