Connecting MIDI Keyboard to iPad

I am trying to connect an M-Audio KeyStudio MIDI keyboard to a 2017 iPad with the lightening connector. I tried it using the Apple Lightening to USB Camera Adapter, however I got an error message saying that the keyboard was drawing too much power. I am guessing that I need some kind of device that goes between the keyboard and the iPad, like an iRig device, but I am not sure what to get.

Other details:

The MIDI Keyboard uses a cable like this to connect to my Macbook (A male to B male).

Also, I read this, but I would like to avoid this workaround if I can. Ultimately, what I am trying to do is to use my MIDI keyboard to use the Sunrizer app on my iPad.

Thanks, as always for your help.
posted by 4ster to Technology (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You might have luck with a powered USB hub. Those have their own power supply, so devices attached to them won't draw from the iPad. Assuming this is just a power thing, that is.

But I see the unpowered hub workaround is something you'd rather not do. So I guess adding another cord doesn't appeal?
posted by ikea_femme at 10:43 AM on January 6, 2018

I just now tried the unpowered USB hub workaround, and it does work very well. I just don't want to do anything that might shorten the life of the iPad in any way.
posted by 4ster at 10:48 AM on January 6, 2018

Seconding the powered USB hub. If you have a monitor laying around with a powered USB hub on it that may do the trick too?
posted by Annika Cicada at 10:56 AM on January 6, 2018

Well, with the powered hub, it shouldn't be drawing power, and just be sending data signals.
posted by ikea_femme at 11:12 AM on January 6, 2018

Was in the same predicament recently. A powered USB hub solved the issue. I'm using this one.

(Current setup is iPad Air w/ MPK Mini fwiw)
posted by raihan_ at 12:36 PM on January 6, 2018

Thanks everyone. A powered hub it is. I appreciate your help.
posted by 4ster at 1:07 PM on January 6, 2018

Often it will still work despite the error, fyi, and its very unlikely to damage your ipad.
posted by Sebmojo at 10:43 PM on January 6, 2018

In this situation, I've used an unpowered hub and it worked just fine as well.
posted by umbĂș at 2:16 PM on January 7, 2018

The solution I finally adopted was to purchase a midi to bluetooth adaptor like this - and install the free app midimittr - that gives me a wireless, low latency connection that allows me to connect any iPad app which supports midi. The keyboard MIDI output itself powers the adaptor.
posted by rongorongo at 5:09 AM on July 22, 2018

« Older Baseboard on a tile wall?   |   Best VPN to use overseas? Newer »