What racial justice organizations should I donate to?

I'm looking for effective, nonprofit racial justice organizations to donate to, along the lines of NAACP, SPLC, or the smaller organizations on this list of black-led racial justice organizations. Are there organizations on that list or otherwise that you particularly recommend?
posted by john hadron collider to Society & Culture (10 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

I don't talk to my mom any more, so for Mother's Day I donate to SONG's Black Mamas Bail Out Project, which helps mothers reunite jailed WOC with their kids for Mother's Day. I live in the South so the work they do directly affects my community.
posted by Brittanie at 2:58 PM on December 31, 2017 [5 favorites]

Organizations not on the list include Higher Heights, which works to get WOC elected in state and local elections (I donated to them after the Alabama Senate race because they were instrumental in canvasing against Roy Moore) and Safety Pin Box, which is a subscription-based program that asks for direct reparations for WOC while also giving you specific tasks that help you become a better ally.
posted by Brittanie at 3:01 PM on December 31, 2017

Black Lives Matter

(whoops, sorry -- somehow I missed that they're on the list you already linked to)
posted by mrmurbles at 3:40 PM on December 31, 2017

While not exclusively a racial justice organization, I would suggest the Children's Defense Fund, which fights for the rights of poor children and children of color. The organization advocates to end child poverty, ensure educational equity, provide health coverage to all children and transform the juvenile justice system, and also runs an amazing summer literacy program, Freedom Schools, based off of the Freedom Schools of the Freedom Summer of 1964. Its founder and president is Marian Wright Edelman, an inspirational civil rights leader who was the first Black woman admitted to the Mississippi Bar.
posted by purplevelvet at 3:48 PM on December 31, 2017 [2 favorites]

the Equal Justice Initiative.
posted by katinka-katinka at 4:32 PM on December 31, 2017 [2 favorites]

Poor People's Campaign

(Articles from Washington Post, Raleigh (N.C.) News & Observer)
posted by needled at 4:48 PM on December 31, 2017

Thanks for suggestions so far! It's particularly helpful if you can say a word about why you like or recommend a given org.
posted by john hadron collider at 4:59 PM on December 31, 2017

Seconding the Equal Justice Initiative. It's founded and run by an incredible lawyer, Bryan Stevenson, who has worked to improve sentencing law (e.g., Supreme Court decision prohibiting life without parole for minors) which disproprtionately impacts communities of color. As well as providing legal representation for anyone in Alabama facing a death penalty case (as funding for this was cut), they also have worked to improve the national memory of injustice, including monuments to lynching and slavery (in the sense of showing their history and continuity to present-day sentencing and discrimination against blacks and other marginalised communities). If I won the lottery, I would give them major bucks because they do really incredible work at individual, societal, and state levels.
posted by stillmoving at 2:21 AM on January 1, 2018 [1 favorite]

I recommend Rainier Scholars. It works with children of color starting around fifth grade and gives them the supports they need to get into and graduate from a good college. It is rigorous and really addresses what could be roadblocks each step of the way.
posted by Margalo Epps at 2:56 PM on January 1, 2018

Color of Change is a really effective organization whose mission is to build black people's political power. It is black-led. I have a good friend who works there and everything she's told me about how they function makes me think it's a really solid org to donate to.
posted by lunasol at 5:05 PM on January 2, 2018

« Older Can you identify this building?   |   How to go out alone as a woman on NYE? Newer »